• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Heads Up - Balloon Space Jump

Brantuk

For anyone who's interest hasn't waned on this auspicious occassion - Felix Bumgroper is about to go up in his balloon and sproing off at the speed of light (or sound or jelly or something).

Here's the live feed if you want to watch the daft git: http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

(Just over 2hrs to launch :) )

What's are those two small orbs floating around the baloon
<br /><br />They were weather Balloons Pat-well not exactly but they were similar-what I mean is they are weather balloons but used as WDI's. Us skydivers call them WDI's pronounced Widdy (Wind Drift Indicators). They're used to assess wind drift at different altitudes. Edited by catman161

I tell ya Felix Baumgartner was amazing today. I've done 143 solo jumps myself to date. I was watching it whilst simultaneously texting all my skydiving buddies about how epic he was.

We are however all in agreement that Felix pulled his main parachute a little higher than he was supposed to and certainly not 5,200ft like he said in the press conference. Which is why he did not break the longest freefall record set by his mentor joe Kittenger despite being 25,000 feet higher upon exit. I think perhaps out of respect for joe he pulled early so that joe can keep that record for himself :) If that is true he is a top bloke IMHO.

I can't wait for the data analysis of this jump.

My highest altitude jump is a tiny 15,000 feet lol!!!

Best photograph I have seen in ages!

A5L-VfzCIAA7P9w_zps04787e6c.jpg

I have a couple of mates from the Salzburg area [bad Ischl] and they do indeed breed them tough up in the mountains :)

Regards.

Edited to add: The BBC have been following this project for 5 years and the full documentary should be airing within 4 weeks.

Edited by Paul Laws