• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiece Advice

Guest recceranger

Guest recceranger

Guys,

Looking for some advice on a few new eye pieces for my SW 80 ED Pro. Mainly for visual work. I have the 28mm that comes supplied with the scope and I'm looking to add to the collection.

Advice appreciated

Rick

Hi Richard, welcome to EMS.

What sort of budget are you running at?

The BST Explorers are a good jump up from the stock ep's you get with the scope, retail brand new around the £45 mark each.

You could get a "all in one" ep, the Badder Hyperion zoom 8-24mm, currently around the £175 mark, I have one.

There are also the Celestron X-cel's that some people have, they say they are good, no idea myself though.

Then there are the Meade 2000 series, getting pricy now, not sure who if anybody on here who has them.

Then there are the £500 an ep, the Televue Naglers, very, very good, but way to pricey for me.

Idealy, the best bet would be to come to a meet, try a few ep's out for yourself, but Shropshire is a bit of a trek.

Trouble with ep's, what some people hate, other people love, they are a very personel thing.

Happy hunting.

Yup - good advice above - it's a personal thing - I love the 13mm Ethos but some folks just can't get on with looking round the edges of a 100 deg fov. For an ED80 Pro the Radians are nice for planetary close ups - around £100 s/h - 10mm and a good barlow will help you get the magnification - but you'd be getting close to the scopes limit if you go to 3-4mm and it will go grainy. You'll need a good clear night with excellent transparency.

X-cells are great - I've heard loads of good reports though don't have one myself - BST and TMB have good offerings too around the £50 mark. The Baader zoom is superb - very versatile and several steps up in quality from supplied eyepieces. The Meade 4000 series and upward are also very clear and give great wide fields at lower mags.

Best advice is to get to an astro club obs session or a star party and try out a few loaners to see what you're comfy with :)

Guest recceranger

Guys,

Great advice all round. Need to get my butt to a Star Party of some description and get a bit of advice from users. Trying to get a break in the middle of my pre deployment training to Afghan will be a challenge! Lol

Thanks again dudes

Faugh a Ballagh

Hi and welcome,

I have found that eyepiece choice isn't just about budget - I don't get on with Televue Ethos, or Celestron X-cell eyepieces.

If you can try other peoples it may help you narrow your choice.