• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Very brief 200p dob first light

After picking up our first scope (a used 200p) yesterday, I'd thought I'd try it out - as soon as I got in, late this evening.

As time was against us, We didn't really have the luxury of any cooling down time, dark adaptation, or lining up the thing with the setting circle & Wixey. The scope was straight out in the back garden, and I popped in the first EP i could grab - a Meade 5000 SWA 20mm.

First thing that got me, was the completely different viewing position from my giant bino/tripod combo - no doubt we'll get used to it , though!

The scope was fitted with the basic straight (9x50?) finder. This proved slightly challenging for zenith views (bending over backwards) but I guess there are other options for this I can look into at a later date?

Then, thanks to the ominous clouds looming, I only managed to squeeze very brief views of Pleiades and the Double Cluster in Perseus - very impressive. After that - the clouds won, and we conceded defeat.

Considering the very limited setup and observing time, I was more than happy with that - for a first go, at least.

Looking forward to a first proper observing session, when the weather is a little better! :)

Glad you managed to get out, we were clouded out too and the afternoon looked so promising, ahwell, wait until another Belper meet where you will get to see it's potential even more :)

Glad you are happy with your scope, I love mine.

Check out my signature below, listed are all the mods I have done, which in my opinion, make the scope so much better and easier to use.

As for the height, you could use a small chair, stool or stand your scope on s small table, just like you saw at your first visit to Belper.

Pleased you at least got some views with your new scope. I found finders difficult and wish I had got a telrad from the start.

The telrad really helped me.

Hope for clear skies tonight for you

Sheila

Glad you got some views in, i've got a 150p dob, I find the finder very confusing so i'm buying a second hand telrad type finder called a R????

As the height of the dob is perfect for giving you a backache lol - I use a little stool someone was throwing away, the height is perfect for me.

I've also an Ikea table which I can stand it on, but I find my legs aren't long enough lol. So I use the table as a table for my bits and bobs. :-)

Eyepieces - I totally agree with Daz, i'm very taken with the BST's and I can buy them one at a time and share them with Wayne, my OH. I also love the zoom he mentioned, but it's a bit tricky to use on two scopes at the same time lol.

Hey Kev,

You've got a great scope there (I'm biased) ;)

Regarding the straight through finder that comes with the scope you could always replace it with a Right Angled Correct Image (RACI) finder scope?

I personally have the Orion 9x50 RACI finder scope, but Skywatcher make them too and are cheaper. Ive looked through Darrens Skywatcher one and cant say I really noticed any difference to mine so would recommend either, but if budget is tight go for the skywatcher version.

They are great (IMO) as you don't have the problem of breaking your back when doing Zenith work :)

Ah, a telrad, Sheila - that sounds like a plan! They seem like hen's teeth atm, though. I'll keep looking. I'll consider the RACI option, too.

Yep, we're looking forward to future Belper meets, then we'll really see what it's capable of!

Yep a telrad or red dot finder all the way, I can never get on with magnified finders.

Btw a cracking scope which will serve you well.