• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Peak Star Party

Craig

I see a few folk mentioning this, so I thought I would make a thread.

Who is going?

Are you going for the stargazing or just in the day for a look around?

It might be worth getting together for a mooch about the place. :)

Just to let you know it runs from Friday 19th to Monday 22nd October near Chelmorton, Buxton, right in the heart of the Peak District.

have e mailed as rep for EMS, so might be doing gate duty on saturday, dont know yet. Day visit only

Sheila

We might go on Sunday for a day trip - was gonna do Sat and hang around after dark - but turns out we're at the NEC Caravan show that day. :)

Guest marmalade

Hi all, finally managed to get on here - was planning to post this morning but had a slight issue to deal with: https://twitter.com/peakstarparty/status/258572507563569153!

Yep, it runs from Friday to Monday this weekend, day visitors are welcome Friday, Saturday and Sunday (everyone is going home Monday so there's no point coming then!) with a public day on Saturday. Please note the "gate open" times on the programme, though. These are not set in stone but it will really help us out if you could try to arrive in the listed "gate open" times - departure is whenever you like.

Full programme on the PSP2012 website, here: www.peakstarparty.co.uk

Hope to see you there!

James.

I'm likely going to drop in on Sunday I think. Saturday is jam packed for me at the moment (Attenborough AM, degree tutorial PM, meal in the evening).

Hi all, finally managed to get on here - was planning to post this morning but had a slight issue to deal with: https://twitter.com/...572507563569153!

Oh dear... That doesn't sound good! Did you get it sorted?

Yep, it runs from Friday to Monday this weekend, day visitors are welcome Friday, Saturday and Sunday (everyone is going home Monday so there's no point coming then!) with a public day on Saturday. Please note the "gate open" times on the programme, though. These are not set in stone but it will really help us out if you could try to arrive in the listed "gate open" times - departure is whenever you like.

Full programme on the PSP2012 website, here: http://www.peakstarparty.co.uk

Hope to see you there!

James.

Thanks for dropping in James. It's on our doorstep so, hopefully, we might be able to be more involved in future? :)

Guest marmalade

Oh dear... That doesn't sound good! Did you get it sorted?

Kind of - the marquee is trashed but we do have a workable backup plan. Given the conditions of the field after all the rain in the last few days, it may even work out better,

Thanks for dropping in James. It's on our doorstep so, hopefully, we might be able to be more involved in future? :)

Yeah, that would be good - you're welcome to bring along a banner or info board this weekend if you want - very few of the Peak District astro socs have made any effort so we have space for you...

Guest Tweedledum

Hi James,

Went last year, thoroughly enjoyed it. The talks were informative too. Glad to see that there are drinks facilities as was expurgating pennarum by the end of the day. Saturday was particularly clear too.

Congrats on the organisation too James.

Cheers

Damian

Telescope building workshop at PSP. After Steve and I got over the initial shock of finding the students were smallish children the workshop went very well and we assure you no children were harned in the process :(:lol:

dont know whether pics llinks are correct but here goes

Edited by Sheila

Cloudy last night and clouding over again now. Not the skies we had at EMS1 for sure :(

We got very lucky that weekend, bet its warmer a psp ?

Guest marmalade

Hi all,

thanks to everyone who came along and I'm really glad you all enjoyed it!

Huge thanks to Steve and Sheila for helping out with the refractor workshop - I'd have been totally snookered without you! I wasn't expecting it to be nearly so popular and making half the kit pieces up on the fly was taxing!!! Again, a huge thanks to Richard, Angela and Paul - I know it is my name that gets associated with everything on the forums but a huge amount of getting everything sorted and managing things through the weekend is down to them. Finally, apologies to everybody else who helped make it work but I have not mentioned (I know Paul coerced a few folk from Chesterfield helped out through the weekend but I am ashamed to admit I do not know names!).

PSP2013 bookings should be up and running in a couple of weeks - we were hoping to be able to take bookings over the weekend but the weather and wet ground was a bit of a wake-up call for us so we are rearranging things with the site owners at the moment.

J.

Guest marmalade

Good to see you joined up with us James - a warm welcome to EMS :)

Cheers Kim! Missed you on SGL - didn't realise you have moved over here!

Hi all,

thanks to everyone who came along and I'm really glad you all enjoyed it!

Huge thanks to Steve and Sheila for helping out with the refractor workshop - I'd have been totally snookered without you! I wasn't expecting it to be nearly so popular and making half the kit pieces up on the fly was taxing!!! Again, a huge thanks to Richard, Angela and Paul - I know it is my name that gets associated with everything on the forums but a huge amount of getting everything sorted and managing things through the weekend is down to them. Finally, apologies to everybody else who helped make it work but I have not mentioned (I know Paul coerced a few folk from Chesterfield helped out through the weekend but I am ashamed to admit I do not know names!).

PSP2013 bookings should be up and running in a couple of weeks - we were hoping to be able to take bookings over the weekend but the weather and wet ground was a bit of a wake-up call for us so we are rearranging things with the site owners at the moment.

J.

you are welcome James, was quite an interesting workshop, did not know i was quite as good at the blue peter stuff LOL

Regards

Sheila

I didn't get any imaging done again :( missing a cable to connect to BYEOS so lost Friday night. Got a cable from Marcus on Saturday but the fog rolled in and I couldn't polar align then spent my time helping Marcus demo his kit to some site residents. Had high hopes after a fine day on Sunday but mass cloud cover came over just before it got dark enough to polar align. Seems it was just not my time to finally get some photographs from the Quattro. Not to worry I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and all the lectures. Many thanks too all the contributors for giving us the benefit of their experience it was well worth the trip

Thats the nature of the beast when it comes to star parties, you pay your money, you take your chances.

If only we all lived in Arizona :P