• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Planet Found in Nearest Star System to Earth

Guest Fluke

Bloomin' hell! That's just down the road (in astronomical terms...).

You can bet where we'll be heading on our first interstellar mission, if ever we can figure out a way to get there... Folding space, anyone? :D Let's put our heads together... :P

yes somebody said in the shoutbox this morning that they had found earth size planet, you up for a visit then craig

Sheila

Look up nuclear pulse propulsion on wikipedia - lots of theoretically possible methods of getting instellar spacecraft to Alpha Centauri within 50 to 350 years!

Look up nuclear pulse propulsion on wikipedia - lots of theoretically possible methods of getting instellar spacecraft to Alpha Centauri within 50 to 350 years!

But if that's travel by conventional means (e.g. moving from A to B in a line) then all sorts of havoc will play out... By the time you get to Andromeda (say, in 50 years) 3 million years will have passed on Earth! Then there's the paradox that goes with this... Makes my head hurt. :blink::wacko:

Guest Kheldar

I'm doing sums off the top of my head, but I don't think time dilation is that bad?

At 0.5c 1 day on the ship is 1.15 days back on Earth.

I don't know why you would want to go, is it not orbiting it's sun closer than mercury is to ours, so hot, hot, hot!!!