• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cast Iron pier suitable for Newtonian

philjay

A cast iron machine shop pier ideal for a telescope pier. (I think its an old grinding machine pedestal)

This is a project that hasn't come to fruition but may be just what someone out there is looking for.

It's cast iron and weighs a great deal and would make an ideal pier for a newtonian either free standing ( it can be left out in all weathers) or as an observatory pier.

Details

Height = 895 mm

Footprint dims = 415 x 430 mm

Top pad = 110 x 65 mm drilled and tapped with 4x 5/16"W holes at 110x65mm spacing, I have drilled a 10mm hole in the centre of the pad to accept the M10 screwed rod for skywatcher mount fixing screw.

Weight = Heavy, I haven't got anything man enough to weigh it but me and the wife lifted it into my hatchback OK.

The 2nd pic shows my HEQ5 roughly fitted to the top for illustration.

The pier is very heavy and can be used as a stand alone pier or if you feel like it you can bolt it down but at this weight it's not going anywhere.

I'm asking £60 for the pier only and it has to be collect only from South Derbyshire I'm afraid as postage would be very high and also I don't want to have to pay for a postman's hernia operation.

It does need an adaptor to fit a mount properly, these you can either get made or I could make something for you to suit your mount at extra cost, (EQ3, 4, 5 & 6 only).

Cheers

Philjay

It,ll take your heq5 with ease john, then you could fit your scope to it with rings and dt and use it like a real scope instead of the dob base :D :D

Edited by philjay

It,ll take your heq5 with ease john, then you could fit your scope to it with rings and dt and use it like a real scope instead of the dob base :D :D

"Use it like a real scope", that sounds like fighting talk! :). :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.