• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I need a red LED light

Doc

What I'm after is a red LED light with it's own battery so there are no leads involved. It has to be small no more then 30mm long and maybe 8mm wide.

I have seen these on E-Bay which are perfect in size but only turns on when the bikes wheels are turning and once still turns off.

I need it with a on/off switch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-NEON-LED-VALVE-CAPS-BICYCLE-BIKE-BMX-VAN-CAR-SAFETY-LIGHT-/260906704479?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&var=560067830207&hash=item3cbf405e5f

So do you guys know of anything similar to this.

It's to light my setting circles and wixey.

I can see the appeal of these, knowing your dislike of cables, but I think they need a shade to prevent stay light as well as an on switch

I remember the S@N did a make your own led illuminator, and some company did the kits. If I can find it I'll let you know.

What you could do is make your own, to run off a AA or AAA battery, and built into a little project box, that velcro's to your scope.

I'm no good at the type of stuff Martyn, it's just the ones in the link are so small, they are a perfect size.

Cut one off a string of fairy lights Mick and strap it across the battery terminals - box it to size with a microswitch in the circuit :)

(you may even get a single led from Maplins along with the box and switch)

Thats fine with the wixey as I'll put a 2.1mm plug on the fairy light and run it into the dew controller to control the brightness. With the degree circle I really wanted a self contained light with it's own on/off so no wires to run around the dob base.

I could always run the wire through the base board and then run the wire between the gap made by the ground and base boards so the wires are invisible.

Got me thinking now.

When's finally get it done I am just using the rear light from my Bike. It's read and battery operated and moveable. I was gonna use that for the peephole to see the setting circle :)

Guest Rooster

What about a small bike lamp? Got a couple from Aldi.. One red one white, each about the size of a 50p.

Other than that, I'm an electronics nut... Happy to make you something if you send me more information!

Hi Paul

I might take you up on that.

If you look at the photo, can you see the shelf on the left hand side with the pointer dissapearing beneath it.

img1258fd.jpg

What I want is a small LED with it's own batteries and on/off switch that can be mounted on the shelf with the red LED shining down towards the pointer and the degree circle below the pointer.

The on/off and batteries will be above the shelf but small so to not interfere with the view through the cable tidy.

Also see thread here: http://www.eastmidla...e-mod-part-one/

If you look at the tyre lighters in the link to e-bay above you can see why these are so good.

Do you think Paul that these can be converted so that have a on/off switch instead of a motion switch?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-NEON-LED-VALVE-CAPS-BICYCLE-BIKE-BMX-VAN-CAR-SAFETY-LIGHT-/260906704479?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&var=560067830207&hash=item3cbf405e5f

Guest Rooster

Those tyre lights you linked to use the batteries as centrifugal weights - the faster the wheel turns the "heavier" the batteries become - until they touch a contact (usually one of the LEDs legs)

This is held back with a spring, so simply removing the spring will "turn it on", and unscrewing the rear of the casing will "turn it off" !

However, these things use watch batteries, which would be short lived if the light is on for a long time, Id guess a few hours at most, and you'd need more batteries - which cost more than the light !!!!!

Does it NEED to be on for a long time ? If not, then some sort of torch may be a better idea... if it has to be on a while, then (using the linked scope as reference) I would put one or more LEDs in a plastic box, say the size of 20 fags, then velcro it next to the handle - this could then be removed for use as a torch ???

If this suits, I could knock one up with a dimmer... either variable, or switched BRIGHT/DIM.

Please let me know your thoughts... I'm really thinking aloud here !

Paul