• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

observing crab nebula and triangulum galaxy

Guest flames UK

Guest flames UK

wanting to get out and obseve all week ,finally at 1am this morning it was beutifully clear ...

my targets were picked and the dob was cooled down .

a few of the 'm's' ive looked at are indeed faint fuzzy's in the 200p but these two are major faint -[m1+m33]

a little dissapointed in just how faint i moved to the clusters in AURIGA and was blown away , these clusters are really dense and sharp !!!! :)

a quick question would be ,' am i right in thinking that there is no way to improve m1 with a filter as its a remnant and not planatary and is andromeda really the only galaxy that the 200p can show any form of shape ? '

i can still never resist looking at jupiter , orion nebula and seven sisters - never fail to make me smile , B)

M81 and M82 are two very differently shaped galaxies that can be plainly seen in a 200P - one's "face on" and the other "edge on" - you should be able to get them both in the same fov using a wide angle eyepiece around 30mm'ish. But it's allways down to the prevailing seeing which can often be mistaken for "good" when in fact it's "not so good". Atmospheric transparency and elevation is what you need :)

(Try the Leo triplet as well on a good night)

M33 should be quite visible in the 200p, never found it in my dob but id suggest a low power EP because ive seen m33 in my 15x70 bins and it looks fantastic. You should also be able to pick up m110 just next to m31 and 81 + 82 will just fit in the zoom at 24mm

Guest flames UK

i need to get a lower power ep as apx x50 is as low as i can go with my ep's ,

i think kim has a good point about the seeing as there was a bit of a twinkle on the stars last night

cheers edward

M1 should be visible in your scope, but you will need good dark skies to see it, just like M33.

I didn't see M1 until last year, and it is faint, but you should find it.

M33 is huge, and as Eddy say's it's actually better in binoculars.

I spent over two hours looking for it, until I realised I was looking straight through it, even with my lowest power eyepiece (X46) I couldn't do it justice.

Guest flames UK

thanks for the advice martyn , think i may have to put some bino"s on the list for santa

can anyone recomend a good low power ep [32mm or 40mm] with wide field for say under £100 ?

Personally, I would go for a 2" one, there's more glass to see through.

I would come over to a meet and have a squint through some before you decide. I have a 40mm Celestron E-lux, but in the dob, I can see the secondary in the centre of the field of view, it obscures the view of the object.

So I would advise looking through a few in your scope to make sure they work OK.