• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Ripley

Guest Ben_Bexson

Guest Ben_Bexson

Hi everyone I'm Ben from Ripley and heard about your forum from Craig Booth.

I am a total newbie when it comes to astronomy but it has always been something that has interested me.

As a keen photographer my eventual aim is to kit myself out for astrophotography.

I look forward to meeting you all. Cheers Ben.

Guest Ben_Bexson

Hi Ben,

Warm welcome to EMS, looks like you have some serious photographic kit there.

Best Regards

Damian

Cheers its only a 500d. and a 100-400m F4.5-5.6L so kind of mid range really.

Hi Ben,

Welcome to EMS :) with that camera and lens all you'd really need is a motor drive mount and youd be able to get some nice shots, but i'll let others shed light on that as im still a novice when it comes to astrophotography

Hi Ben and a warm welcome to EMS :)

You're very welcome to join us for an observing session to have a look at (and through) some scopes and equipment - I'd totally recommend that cos choosing a setup can be a nightmare - especially if you're totally new to astronomy. Hope to see you there soon :)

Hi Ben, a warm welcome to EMS.

Firstly, get a pair of binoculars, they are great to get you going, and start learning your way round the sky. It's a good time of year to do this, as there are some good objects about.

I would also recommend the Sky and Telescope Pocket Star Atlas. A very good atlas with loads of info, plasticized pages, and at a reasonable cost.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781931559317?redirected=true&gclid=COXxmZCFkrMCFYXMtAodCUYAvg

As Kim mentioned, you would be very welcome to come visit one of our dark sites, and see what you think. The first visit is free, and if you wish to join, then the subscription is a reasonable £20 a year. This pays for the rent of the two sites.

There are two things you need for Astro-photography, a lack of sanity, and very deep pockets.

That said, some of our members who dabble in the dark arts have produced some amazing images, and Iam sure they will be able to answer any questions you might have. I stick with visual, I can't knit cables!

When this obsession really kicks in, then you always have Craig to blame. :)

Enjoy the forum.

Welcome to EMS Ben. I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already :) Apart from just get out there and get gazing :)

Hi Ben,

Good to see you've signed up. :)

As others have said, it's best to pop along to one of our dark sites when we get together. Just keep an eye on the announcements forum.

Hi Ben. Welcome to EMS. If you want a good beginner scope, don't get what I've got. (unless you have access to a machine shop to heavily mod it). I'm a relative noob to this also, and everyone on here is really friendly and helpful.

Enjoy the forum.

Hi ben and welcome to EMS. Another recruit for the darkside.

may your pockets be deep, your patience long and your skies clear

Sheila

Welcome aboard. The dark side is dangerous but very rewarding. My only advice, never tell the missus how much you've spent or want to spend :lol:

• 3 weeks later...