• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A coffee shop recipe, as requested.

BAZ

This is for a Cheese, Onion and Potato Pie, that my Mum used to make.

It's as true to the original as I can get, as Mum used to do it all by eye. Don't do this if you are calorie counting, but it does taste fantastic. I would suggest that is served with Bacon, and crusty bread, as we had it.

To serve four.

1 pint of milk

2 Onions

A whole pack of good Cheddar, or Red Leicester cheese

6 good size spuds, a waxy type such as Maris Piper.

Peel onions and spuds. Chop onion into chunky slices, not too small or they disappear.

Chop the spuds into 6-8mm slices.

Cook the onions in the milk until soft and translucent, and par boil the potatoes until just getting soft.

When they are done, run the spuds in cold water to stop cooking. Drain the onions and save the milk.

Slice the cheese into strips, you will need enough for two layers.

Start layering the base of an oven proof dish with spuds, then half the onions, then cheese, and then onions, spuds and top with cheese. If you don't have enough cheese, save most of it for the topping

Top the pie up with the reserved milk to about three quarters of the room in the dish, and place a couple of knobs of butter on the top, it gives a nice finish. If you like it, sprinkle a few caraway seeds on the top, it sort of amplifies the savory taste.

Bake in the middle of the oven @ 170 degreesC for an hour.

Enjoy!

daz I know this recipe well, its one of my favourites and simple to do. Nice comfort food...... i love cheese. But not possible for Star Parties as need proper oven :(

Sheila

I work in commercial kitchens as a catering engineer, so it's easy to pick up some of the tricks of the trade.

That said, if this looks like being something folks are interested in, then I think easy to make, reasonably cheap, tasty food recipes could be looked into.

Let me know how you all feel about it.