• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My counterweight system for my dob.

Doc

They are made out of a shaft which has a 50mm diameter base and two countersunk holes to attach to the dob, the shaft is 55mm in length and has a 6mm thread in the end so I could attach a knob to hold the counterweights down.

The weights are hydraulic couplings and are 76mm in diameter and 35mm in length. I had them turned down to 27.5mm in length so two can fit onto the shaft.

I then had a 15mm hole drilled through the middle so they can be fitted onto the shaft.

I have ordered a 50mm x 5mm thick rubber gasket which I hope will take up the circumference gap caused by the 14" diameter tube I am fitting this to.

Here are some photo's. I will take a photo of it connected to the dob as soon as the rubber gasket has arrived.

img1337ae.jpg

This is before any machine work.

img1339s.jpg

And together with the 6mm knob attached.

img1340lq.jpg

Nice one Mick, I'm interested to see how they're attached to the dob.

The cake counterweight idea is one that should be explored :D

I'm in the process of making a concave rubber washer to fir the radius of the dob, then it just bolts down.

Simples.

Part 2

Could I find a concave washer big enough, the answer was NO. So I bought a 10mm thick rubber washer and tried to make it concave and guess what I made it look like a dogs dinner :lol:

So I came up with a ingenius idea to make one from insulating tape. By cutting strips and working from the inside outwards and making the outer edges thicker I made my concave gasket.

img1343vh.jpg

Next was to take the tube of the mirror ring and mark out the holes, I then drilled holes to accomodate the screws.

img1344vh.jpg

I then screwed the shaft down and cut of any access rubber that got squashed out, now there's no rocking and no visible gap. Here's a photo with weights in place.

img1346k.jpg

Put it all back together and tested the balance, nearly perfect with my monster UWAN eyepiece.

The finished article, all in all a fun mod and very simple.

img1349dg.jpg

img1350q.jpg