• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

If it's not one thing....

Celeste

...it's another! ARGH. I am getting the feeling me and this mount are not meant to be :( I was trying to see if my polarscope was aligned right (which it isn't) I tried to adjust the altitude but the back bolt wouldn't move...yup you guessed it...it's BENT. GRRR. I can manage to stabilise the head at 52deg, I haven't forced this bolt EVER as I haven't touched it since I bought it (it was already set at 52deg) I ended up tilting the head on a flat surface holding in place to check the polarscope and that's also off a fair way. I thought sod it i'm getting nowhere with this mount and left it feeling totally dejected :( Is there a way to get the bolt out? Should I even bother? :angry:

Are You imaging or doing visual ? If only doing visual its not so important to be bang on polaris.

Kim, i'm not sure the bolt will come out....it's bent pretty good. My guess is the owner before me had set it real tight so I wouldn't notice...until I loosened off the other side :(

I feel a shopping spree coming on hehehe :D

It's a known fault, there's loads of posts on the internet about them bending. I don't know why they use such crap when they've invested so much in building a quality mount.

You can have a go by all means, it can't make it any worse. Thanks for the offer :D now need a clear night and a meet at Sawley.

Edit; Ok...what bolts do I need? I can find EQ5/6 replacement ones...in 2 different sizes...but no mention of EQ3.2 bolts :huh:

Edited by Celeste

I could stick it on a machine and drill it out for you. Depending on the size I could also helicoil the thread to make it stronger. Looking at the link posted earlier I should be able to easily make a better bolt too. God knows how they get away with charging £25 for one of those.

Yeah saw that thread when I was googling bent alt bolts.....it mentions heavy handedness...that's NOT me :( I haven't forced it any at all. It must have been like that when I bought it, I had no need to move the alt. It seems a bit of a job getting to the bolt, and I guess mines as bent as the one in the 1st pic, I can see it wiggle right from one side to the other. Argh....I guess that's what I get for buying a used mount......a bit of a lemon. Oh well I guess it's helped me learn how to use an EQ mount.

Yep - they use materials that aren't really fit for purpose - but at least it can be fixed with a little bit of work and some new bolts. I wouldn't sell a mount in that state to anyone. We'll see if we can get them out for you. Or you could try if you have a file? We know it's soft metal so it shouldn't be too hard to get through. :)

How do I get access to the bolt to cut the bent bit off? and which bolts do I need to replace it with? It seems too much trouble to bother with if in the near future i'm buying a new mount. I could use this one simply for the backyard with the mak on it. :(

How do I get access to the bolt to cut the bent bit off? and which bolts do I need to replace it with? It seems too much trouble to bother with if in the near future i'm buying a new mount. I could use this one simply for the backyard with the mak on it. :(

T A WOW offered to sort it for you-must be worth letting him have a look??

T A WOW offered to sort it for you-must be worth letting him have a look??

+1 - let somebody look at it for you.

Ok yeah I have no issue with someone looking/getting the bolt out :) I need to know what to replace it with though? I need to get one in

If you want to take a serious step into imaging (which I think you do - correct me if I'm wrong) then an HEQ5 is the way to go. If budget doesn't stretch that far then a CG5 GT is better than the EQ5 Synscan. If you go for a heavy scope or newtonian over 8" diameter then an NEQ6. Keep your eye on ABS and SGL cos you'll save a lot of money going 2nd hand - up to two years old and in good condition most mounts are barely broken in - especially with the weather the way it is lol :)

I have my eye on a scope or two already ;) I just need to gather the neccesary pennies and make a phone call to sort out the details :D It depends on this phone call which scope/s and/or mount I buy :rolleyes: hehe

If you're coming to belper on Friday I'll bring some of my tools for bolt extraction (lacking a portable CNC machine its pliers lol) and a few sample bolts to check thread sizes for you so I could get you a high tensile bolt

Brilliant thanks so much :) The support on this forum is amazing :D I am aiming for Belper, but will have to see how Lewis is....those who know him will understand