• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Have you still got your first ever telescope?

Doc

I spent an hour today tidying up the loft when I found my first telescope, a Prinz Astral Telescope model 22. If I remember right it was very good except for the dodgy mount, optics were 60mm and I had many a happy night outsde when I was about 14, so 32 years ago :o

Anyone else still have their first ever telescope?

Yes but no. I had a scope when I was about 8 or 9 years old, it was white and probably quite rubbish, I don't have that any more. I do have my first "proper" scope though, the 200p, that's some first scope! :lol:

Hav,nt got my first scope, but still got my first pair of bins.

A very nice pair of 8x40 Hilkins. Over 30 years old with optics pretty much as good as the day they were bought.

Wish I'd been into astronomy when I was a kid. Sold my first scope after my first upgrade to a CPC800. It was a 150P on manual CG5. I then sold the CPC800 so I could get a CPC925. Still have the third one though - Meg72 - and fourth one - 300P Flex Tube :)

Funny old thing I've just dug mine out to check it over as my brother in law asked if he could have it :)

It's amazing what this led me into ;)

yjanenu3.jpg

Yep. My heavily modded astromaster 130. Still needs more mods though.

Only been into astronomy for about 4 months now so, I don't think SWMBO would be too impressed if I'd got myself a better one

My first scope was a Prinz 330. brought from Dixons in 1971 for the sum of £23. It was a 60mm refractor and I don't have any more.

Guest Tweedledum

My first scope in 1975, this has gone back to its original owner who can no longer easily move his larger frac and eq mount. Nice (was then) 60mm Fraunhofer, wooden tripod and full wooden case.

When I was about 9 years old, my Dad got someone to make me a 3" refractor. It was very long (probably about F15) with an objective in a brass cell and brass mounted eyepiece. It did not have a mount, tripod or finder, but I learned to wedge the tube in the top of the garden privet hedge and was fascinated with the views of the moon, planets, clusters and the Orion Nebula.

Seeing that I was so keen and was using it every clear night, and even setting my alarm to get out of bed in the middle of the night when I knew certain things were visible, my Dad bought me a second hand Charles Frank 4" reflector. The eyepieces were RAS threaded (try google). I had a 1" Ramsden, half inch Orthoscopic and a 2.25x barlow. I soon replaced the ex-military gunsight unit magnification finder with a 6 x 30. The equatorial mount was way over the top for a 4" scope with 1" solid steel shafts! I had the 4" for the next 30 years and had David Hinds re-aluminize the mirrors twice during that period. I remember some incredible sights through that scope in the days when street lights turned off a midnight and nobody had security lights. I now regret selling it.

No but wish I did, tasco 60mm frac red on rubbish mount .76 ep. My dad bought it for me from argos. My dad (now passed away) helped me get into astronomy and used to drive me into the country side to find darker skies. I would like to still have the scope as a keepsake.

Like Sheila, I have, but mine is only 20months old.

Not like you old timers!!!!!

:)

Amateur! Mine was only 9 months old when I flogged it! :lol:

I bet you would Dave it's memories like them that keep us going.

Three years tomorrow Mick ! Prostate cancer, not a nice way go :(

Three years tomorrow Mick ! Prostate cancer, not a nice way go :(

I know matey my mum died in 1995 but she still enters my head from time to time.