• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Feeling sorry for myself

philjay

Just come back from the Queens Medical Centre where 3 docs and 1 prof have been stuffing tubes up my nose and down my gullet. I have to keep a pH probe stuffed up my nose down to my lower oesophagus for 24 hours to monitor acid levels so I am very sore and darent move my head for fear of gagging :unsure:

But on the bright side for the missus, it hurts me to talk therefore shes going to have a peaceful evening :)

However the mixed blessings are that I have been told I must eat and drink things that give me mild pain so tonight Im going to have a mild Chicken Korma for the 1st time in years, then Im going to aneasthatise myself with a couple of glasses of red, thats the only way Im going to get to kip with this thing in me tonight.

Still, the prof I saw was the most sensible and communicative bloke Ive seen in the past 4 years of my troubles, even though he still said they dont really know whats going on, he was the 1st to admit it.

Sorry, just had to off load, the missus aint back from work yet and I had to have a moan :D

Phil (feeling and looking like a part borg) J

Lets just hope the results of this test will enable the docs to treat you correctly in the future.

Best of luck and enjoy your red wine.

Sorry to hear that mate. I work at QMC. I also have terrible history with my stomach. Gastric bleeds,oesophageal reflux disorder and lots of endoscopies. Still take stomach meds every day which keeps things calm. Hope you get it sorted. I take it they have tested you for helicobacter pylori? Hope you feel better soon.

Guest Tweedledum

Korma and a couple of bottles of Cabernet should help Phil. Hope they manage to get a proper handle on things this time.

Best Wishes

Hope the results are worth the suffering Phil. I've had a bit of stomach trouble myself over the years so I've got some idea what it can be like, but I've been pretty good since I got the H.Pylori treated.

All the best Phil hope they get you sorted soon. Meantime if you need to speak to swmbo just do what me n Di do - we email each other across the lounge - and if she's upstairs she gets my messages on her Ipad lol :)

Thanks guys, sorry to offload but I wasnt feeling too spritely.

Wish I could have had a couple of bottles but it would have put the pH probe off the scale I reckon :) Its interesting to see just how the things you eat and drink affect your pH though the monitor has a display, so I was reading that whilst eating me Korma and swilling my Merlot :D I can think of better pass times :)

Got about 5 hours kip so not as bad as I thought it would be.

Kim, I knewthe missus would be all questions so I wrote a blog in word for her to read. All I needed was voice translation from word and I could do a Steven Hawkins impression :)

Having the probe pulled out this afto so looking forward to that.

Catman, I sometimes wish it was stomach related/ acid reflux at least that can be treated.

Thanks again

Phil

Edited by philjay

Sounds like a few of us have felt your pain in the past. I've had 6 years of stomach troubles very similar to what catman described and the doctors have never got to the bottom of it. I hope you have more luck!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Probe came out yesterday but I was in pain through having to eat all teh things that aggrevate my condition therefore didnt feel up to taking a scope out when it cleared later on. Besides I finished the rest of the bottle I opend the previous night so wouldnt have been much cop pointing a scope.

phil

I was given a good idea at the time re results of the 1st part, Craig, thanks for asking. I just have to wait for the results of the pH test but they wont hold any surprises there.

Basically I had been told they know why the sore spot in my food tube came about, 20 years of undiagnosed celiac disease, but they don’t know why the sore spot hasn’t gone now the celiac is under control. The only medication didn’t work so basically I am on my own.

However I wanted a second opinion before accepting this diagnoses because I have had so many wrong diagnoses over the years I do not trust just one persons judgement anymore.

Yesterday I got a 3rd and 4th opinion, the 4th being from a professor no less who said quite plainly they don’t know why it hasn’t gone and my stomach is functioning OK.

So basically I am on my own with this now and can only keep it in check with diet.

However I have also made the decision for a lifestyle change and will be taking early retirement at the end of March. I’ve proved that 2 week breaks from sitting at a PC all day and driving helps, so we shall see what a longer break does.

Phil

Nice one for getting more opions, too many people these days take one persons opion as fact, so good for you, well done.

As for them not knowing (at least he was honest) that is a shame but I hope your lifestyle change will help, enjoy your new found freedom and good luck for the future, hope it improves your condition!

TLC works wonders, a lifestyle change is always hard but everyone is here to support you and when you need to rant just shout x

Good luck Phil. I took early retirement due to an accident, I could of soldiered on but this would of made matters a lot worse, so I took a payoff and a much smaller pension but at least I can enjoy myself for the time being.

Cheers guys thanks for the supportive words, its a strange time at the mo

Derek, whereabouts in Crete are you based?

I have spent a few holidays there over the years, Aghia Galini is where I reckon I should have been born and bred, lovely place

Phil

That's a tough decision to make Phil, but if it improves your health, then it can only be the right one.

Good luck with everything you do.

Guest Bryndalf

Theres no point working if it makes you ill. Taking retirement and living at a better pace should help, just dont get too many hobbies :)