• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2nd Hand pricing

Teslar

Is there any rule of thumb guide to setting values or is it down to the market? I've a few items I might sell but I'm also looking for a few things principly a second mount for my Mak 180. I've been looking at HEQ5 syntrek but second hand they seem overpriced to me. What would be a fair value or is there a rule that could apply for selling and buying?

Go in and make an offer.

I don't think there are hard and fast rules, so decide what you want to pay and haggled. I got my scope and mount, plus all accessories, but asking them to be bundled as a single sale. Worked a treat. :)

I always though that as a rule of thumb with astro gear was that you sell for about two thirds of new price if it is actually "used". Obviously if someone buys a mount and put their OTA on indoors and decides it isn't gonna work then goes to sell it then they would get away with charging a little more.

Yup - it all depends on age, condition, and negotiating skills. My rule of thumb is up to two years old in excellent working order and all round good condition bank on paying around 65% to 70% of new prices. Under 6mths maybe a little more, over two years a fair bit less.

An HEQ5 Synscan Pro under 18ths old in very good condition and used reasonably regularly should fetch around £500 give or take £50. But there are bargains to be had - I got a 6mth old one in perfect working order for £300 not so long ago as part of a £500 two scope package. But if I was asked for 80% to 85% of new prices for any item - I'd chuck in the extra to buy new and get all the warranty and after sales service that goes with new. Hope that helps. :)

I was thinking 2/3 but also factor in demand. Taking the HEQ5 syntrek £635 new and I've seen one on ABS for £500 but as at least two others have posted wanted adds around the same time. It's not been snapped up so I'm guessing its overpriced ;)

Yup - when there's more than one on the go it can help get the price down - I've had bargains when there's been competition on a particular item which didn't move for a couple of weeks :)