• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Collaborative M31, 45 hours.

Guest ollypenrice

Guest ollypenrice

I know, crazy! Les Tilly in the USA, Tom O'Donoghue in Spain and myslelf and guest Ian Bird in France pooled our images to make this one. Mine had 20 hours and was blown out of the water by the new one. It only goes to show.

Les and Tom used Tak FSQ106 scopes and Ian and I used the house FSQ85. The wide background sky, by the way, is just from an hour per channel RGB in the Baby Q. No Luminance. I'm convinced this gives the smallest and most colourful stars.

Registar did the aligning and resizing. Fantastic programme.

Olly (and Les, Tom and Ian.)

Bigger http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2173580333&k=M7qVGVc&lb=1&s=X3

Full http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2173580333&k=M7qVGVc&lb=1&s=O

M31-LES-TOM-OLLY-IAN-core-up-M.jpg

Wow - that's awesome Olly :)

Good to see you back on EMS btw - we're pretty chilled out here - much more "you" methinks - nudge wink ;)

OMG!!!! That has just blown my mind for the last 5 minutes :o ! What an amazing picture, so much detail! Well done Olly and respective contributors. Absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

Guest ollypenrice

Thanks. I would like to take this image further, though. There is faint outer halo which we have not fully captured and the Baby Q at F3.9 seems to have been the pick of the bunch for that. Also a little detail for selected bits in the TEC140 might not go amiss. We've started so we'll finish!!

Olly

Hi Olly.

Long time no hear.

Not bad for a beginner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though that is some image.

Did you do the processing and how long did it take to do??

Guest ollypenrice

Hi Olly.

Long time no hear.

Not bad for a beginner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though that is some image.

Did you do the processing and how long did it take to do??

Les sent me a combined image made from both our processed ones. Tom sent me his linear Luminance data which I processed. I then extracted the 'Olly and Les' synthetic luminance and blended it with Tom's. There were many layers involved in getting into the core! I replaced the Olly'n'Les Lum layer with the Tom, Olly and Les one. And finally I put the composite galaxy onto my original background sky because it was the largest, a 2-panel mosaic in the Baby Q. I guess working up the composite from the three originals took a day and a half at the PC. My own image was itself a hybrid with an old single frame 11 hour image layered onto a four hour per panel mosaic taken last week.

I was giving tuition to a guest so this little baby gave me plenty of opportunity for exploring techniques!

If we'd got orgainsed to work together from the start it would have been a sight easier...

For comparison the 'Les Granges' image shot at 328mm is here (and as you can see I kept the colour scheme, more or less. 90% of the composoite image Ha comes from Les's version.)

/>http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-R9srMfw/0/X3/M31-HaLRGB-2-panel-20-Hrs-X3.jpg

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Les sent me a combined image made from both our processed ones. Tom sent me his linear Luminance data which I processed. I then extracted the 'Olly and Les' synthetic luminance and blended it with Tom's. There were many layers involved in getting into the core! I replaced the Olly'n'Les Lum layer with the Tom, Olly and Les one. And finally I put the composite galaxy onto my original background sky because it was the largest, a 2-panel mosaic in the Baby Q. I guess working up the composite from the three originals took a day and a half at the PC. My own image was itself a hybrid with an old single frame 11 hour image layered onto a four hour per panel mosaic taken last week.

I was giving tuition to a guest so this little baby gave me plenty of opportunity for exploring techniques!

If we'd got orgainsed to work together from the start it would have been a sight easier...

For comparison the 'Les Granges' image shot at 328mm is here (and as you can see I kept the colour scheme, more or less. 90% of the composoite image Ha comes from Les's version.)

http://ollypenrice.s...l-20-Hrs-X3.jpg

Olly

Bloody hell Olly its a wonder your eyes arn't square.

A day and a half plus the rest, now that is what I call dedication.

Keep up the good work.