• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

refractor focuser recomend's/best buy's ?

Guest june1902

Guest june1902

john here !, iv'e touched on this subject before,and thought i had found the cure when i purchased the skywatcher motor drive unit,........turns out i was wrong !! firstly you lose the manual ability to control and secondly even on higher speed setting it's painfully slow with a lengthy draw tube,

So !! what's needed is a superior replacement a quality focuser with coarse & fine manual control & remote control via handset & laptop wether this be crayford or rack & pinion is also up for debate,

baader steelrack fit's all the above......But expensive :o so any ideas out there ??

Edited by june1902

Hi june

Before you replace the focuser what have you got at the moment? Sometimes simple adjustments can rescue what feels like a naff focuser

Phil

Edited by philjay

Guest june1902

thank's phil, it's john by the way.....june does all the reading i do all the techy for her ;)

it's brand new ....but.. it's unusualy long at 210mm the SW upgrade item is much shorter so i cant understand why they made it so long ?? anyhoo...the main problem is not being able to manual override the motor so all adjustment's need to be done in slowmo !! :(

Hi John.

While I don't have any idea about what else you could purchase, I don't fully understand what your problem is.

I have the S/W motor focuser on my 200P, currently running a Badder Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom ep, and from 24mm, down to 8mm only requires the samllest of adjustments with the focuser, so speed is not really an issue.

Also, is slower not better, that way you can get finer adjustments?

I leave my focuser where it is at the end of the night, so next session, I`m ready to go.

What is the reason for you requiring such large focuser movements so fast?

Regards,

Daz.