• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First 2" Eyepieces

Guest Fluke

What would you guys recommend for my first 2" eyepieces?

Im after 2 for Xmas and have a budget of £85-90 max per eyepiece and enjoy looking at pretty much everything but especially like globular clusters, Jupiter, Saturn etc.

Cheers, Dan :)

2" eyepieces are great if you want the widest possible true fields of view. Globular clusters and especially planets are relatively small objects which require a reasonable magnification rather than a wide field to be seen well. Even one of the largest globulars, M13 in Hercules only spans about a quarter of a degree. In your average 20mm 1.25" ep this will about half fill the field of view in your 300p. With almost any 2" eyepiece M13 will appear smaller.

The widest field 1.25" ep will allow a maximum true field of about 1 degree in your 300p.

Now if you want to get the best views of the Pleiades, Orion Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy, double cluster and other large objects, then this is where the 2" eps really excel. 2" eps are generally used at low magnification but with large fields of view and give the brightest images.

It is far more expensive to manufacture high quality 2" eps that are crisp to the edge in a short focal ratio scope which will show up these abberations more than say an F10. Some observers have a greater tolerance than others to these abberations. Your price range is towards the lower quality versions.

Here are a couple of new examples that are just within your price range, secondhand you will get better quality for your money.

This is a 30mm 80 degree version that will certainly show some comet shaped stars towards the field edge in your F5 scope. This will give about 50x and a massive 1.6 degrees true field in the 300p.
/>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380367730023?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This one should give better quality towards the field edge than the above since it has a smaller field. It is a 26mm with 70 degree apparent field and will give about 58x and 1.2 degree true field in the 300p.
/>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PanaViewTM-26mm-2-astro-eyepiece-/150442148092?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item23070d00fc

There are lots of 2" eps to choose from and you generally get what you pay for.

By far the best way to decide is to try someone elses 2" eps at a meet and see what you think. You will be more than welcome to have a go with my 2" eps, but don't expect any advantages using 2" eps on globulars or planets.

Hope this helps.

I was likely to be asking a similar question in a few weeks time, but no longer need to thanks to the info above.

Just brilliant - thanks Pete.

I have the 26mm 2" Adler, which is similar looking to the panaview. It does for me work the best in my 300P, and is without doubt the best I have for finding faint fuzzies. But as Peter mentioned, it has seagulls at the edge, which I find doesn't bother me too much since I seem to concentrate on the centre anyway. I did have a 32mm, but didn't get on with that as well.

The 26mm was the one I was using at EMS1.

Hyperion 8mm is a nice planetary eyepiece for circa £60 - great views in my 300P. I also like Radians but they're a tad dearer around the £100 mark. I picked up a Meade 4000 series 24mm for £60 which is very nice for wide angles. The WO 30mm 2" is nice as well on open clusters. (all s/h prices)

Another approach might be to get a decent barlow (1.25" Ultima 2x, 1.25" Shorty Plus 2x, or 2" Antares 1.6x) to double any further eyepieces you buy - all around the £60-£80 s/h bracket. As Pete says though - best to try a loaner at a meeting to decide your own preferences - it's very much a personal thing :)

Good question, and some very helpful answers, thank you. :-)

At EMS1 I really enjoyed just browsing "pretty things" with my 25mm. So i've now bought, a second hand 2" 25mm wide angle just for this purpose. You're of course more than welcome to use it, after i've actually have lol. ;-)