• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Night vision friendly IPhone 4S Case

catman161

So, not really a mod but it did take a little DIY.

So firstly I bought the case from eBay URL:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=130793189816&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=21250435862

So the case arrived after a couple of days. Out of the packet it looks like this:

qehena3y.jpg

The rubber outside in red comes off easily

azemutyg.jpg

Then I took apart the two halves of the inner plastic case. It had a clear screen protector glued in place already.

mura4e4e.jpg

Then I took a craft knife or you could use something similar.

zyjytyqy.jpg

Then I just got my Lee 106 Red filter and my iPhone and just cut around the edge of the iPhone with the craft knife to get the basic shape. Obviously if you try this be careful not to cut yourself or scratch your iPhone. Once you have done that you need to remove the glued in existing screen protector. It's comes out fairly easily.

ymebu6u8.jpg

Then I just used the clear screen protector as a template and cut the red filter to size.

de6ahasa.jpg

Then I simply glued it in place. Hey presto I have a night vision friendly case to put my phone in and now I can use the iPhone to look up the alt/Az coordinates when using the setting circle.

2a4y9ata.jpg

dydehe6u.jpg

Yeah I would bring my laptop but then I've gotta power it and blah blah blah. The battery on it lasts about 10 minutes. Much easier to just use iPhone as battery lasts longer and fits nicely into pocket and don't even have to remove my gloves can just use the stylus to look up coordinates :)

Mick, not sure about Felix but I use the mobile version of Stellarium. It's a free app on the IStore.

Nice one Felix.

What Iphone program are you using for your Alt/Az cords.

Hi Mick, thanks. I use starwalk. Have used stellarium also but found starwalk to be more accurate for me.

Good idea, I use mine for an exact clock for the goto, always blinds me!! ha ha I will give it a go.. :)

Mick, not sure about Felix but I use the mobile version of Stellarium. It's a free app on the IStore.

Cheers Daz and Felix I'll have a look at it after dinner.