• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Telescope advice (again)

dawson

Thanks again all.

Kim, what real differences would the 80, 100 or even 120mm scopes offer?

James

Appature doesn't actually matter that much with imaging as I have come to realise. I can pull as much detail from the same length subs with both the 80 and the 200, and both are the same focal ratio.

Appature doesn't actually matter that much with imaging as I have come to realise. I can pull as much detail from the same length subs with both the 80 and the 200, and both are the same focal ratio.

So what is the point then of bigger scopes?

Guest Kheldar

So what is the point then of bigger scopes?

Visual :)

Rougly all that matters in imaging is focal length, and focal ratio.

Edited by Kheldar

Visual :)

Rougly all that matters in imaging is focal length, and focal ratio.

Ok, didn't explain my self properly, I was talking astrophotoraphy wise, I know for visual bigger is better, just wondered why Kim suggested go for the 100 and Mike saying don't bother.

The whole topic of this is based around imaging?

If you can get the same results from an 80, then why pay more for the 100?

Guest Kheldar

I don't like the 100 (for imaging) full stop but that's just me.

The benefit of buying a 120 say over the 80 would be a longer focal length, and in turn a smaller field of view.

M101 for example goes from being a small blob, to a larger blob :)

Edited by Kheldar

Sorry - I thought your friend was after both imaging and observing. So a slightly large aperture would have been a nice dual purpose instrument. If it's purely for imaging then there's nothing wrong with the 80 :)

I think he wants visual and imaging.

With visual, would there be much difference, honestly between the 80 and the 100, or even the 120 for that matter? As is said above, in my mind, things which can be seen nicely with the 80 (saturn, jupiter, moon etc), are not going to be seen a great deal better with the 100 or 120, and anything deep space is just going to look fuzzy, just different sizes of fuzzy.

Is the suggestion that for imaging, there is no advantage of the 100 or the 120?

James

Imho James - I feel sure most beginners will want to look as well as image objects. Most times those who aspire to imaging with their first scope have no idea what's involved and quickly turn to observing to get the necessary experience whilst learning the "dark arts". It fills a useful gap.

It would be good to advise caution cos it ain't just a point and click exercise. The extra aperture of a 100 or 120 would keep him interested whilst learning imaging. Someting like an F7 refractor for observing with a reducer/flatenner to facilitate imaging could be the best advice you give him at this early stage.

In reality most astronomers have more than one instrument - one for observing and one for imaging. Another alternative would be an HEQ5 Synscan mount - with a short tube wide field semi appo (like ED80 or Meg 72) and a 6" Newtonian (or 8" s/h). He could just about fit that into the budget and have the best of both worlds. More than one way to skin a cat :)

Kim, again, thank you for that. I'd bever really appreciated the finer qualities of scopes when considering visual vs imaging. I'd always just thought along the lines of "bigger is better".

When I win the lottery, it looks like I've have to have two observatories now! :)

James

Lol James - I can put your mind at ease there - just swop the scope you need at any time onto the mount in a singe obsy :)

Kim, if I win mega-millions, the scope is going to be too big to swap :) I'll just need somewhere dark to live then.

James

Has he decided what to go for yet James? It might be a good idea to get him along to a session with us sometime - there's usually a good example of each different type of scope to look at and through. It would help him to be more aware of what he's aiming for scopewise. :)