• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

any members posess a dome ?

Guest june1902

Guest june1902

john here, i giving serious consideration to the building of an obsy and wondered if any members here have a dome set up ?? especialy anyone near enough for me to view and dicuss....doncaster/sth yorks/north notts ??

hi June,

i don`t have a dome but am in the process of biulding a roll of roof obsy, if your looking for a ready built obsy there`s one for sale on astro buy and sell, also stargazers lounge, guys only had it for a few months, it`s the pulsar 2.2 version

Yep - that Linton Guise pulsar dome looks teriffic - I'd have it myself if I had the right garden for it. Only two grand - or five grand with a big telescope and bits thrown in.

Guest june1902

thanks guy's, as alway's i overthink thru my problem's :D try and answer this one for me !!

assuming the scope is pointing vertical ok!! and you wish to view the optimum amount of objects throughout the year......what angle would you need your scope to achive to do this and still remain out of the element's in a roll of obsy ???

IE:- floor area versus wall hight if that makes sense :D :D

Guest june1902

WOW !! very impressive, my brain is mush at the moment...i want to keep june from the element's as much as poss,and have a 12ft wide garage to use and im trying to rationalise the option's against cost.....only wish i had a suitable garden for somthing simalar to yours.....life would be a lot easier ;)

Hi John,

/>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.sullivan1

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete I had no idea that you had such an amazing obsy. That is absolutely stunning. Such good craftsmanship. I am dumb struck. If I ever get to move to a place that a) has a garden and B) is darker than the centre of leicester I would gladly hire your services to build me an obsy like yours! Truly inspiring, what am awesome build. Thanks for sharing your web address. That was a really enjoyable read :)

Oooh thats nice Pete

John

Height of walls in a roll off depends on several things, your pier height, your scope length, your height, your horizons. Whats right for me and my situation, kit, physique wont be right anyone else so its a difficult question to answer easily

E.G. If you have an 8 foot refractor and you want to be able to view a minimum of say 20 degree above the horizon, the scope, when its pointing at the zenith will be exposed. But if you have a short Mak or SCT then it wont be exposed much if at all. I have long refractors and got round the exposure problem by having extension panels which I can slot onto the top of my walls, they act as wind breaks and also cut some of the light from the upstairs rooms of the neighbours who dont seem to know how to close curtains at night.

Having said that I have used them about once in the past 12 months and that was for cutting out light and not wind.

From experience a roll off obs gives more protection from wind than you would expect.

I like the look of domes and have used an observatory with a dome in the past and I found the dome needs to be opened in advance of observing as any residual heat left in the building will rush through the slot when you open up. With a roll off, the heat dissipates in seconds as the whole roof is open and your body heat and that of others in the obs will have less effect.

Just a few musings

Guest june1902

i gave it that much thought yesterday i couldnt get to sleep :D but i did decide that a roll off is the only realistic way to go,but it's going to have to wait till spring ! ( wish i'd made my garage 5ft longer when i built it :D :D ) and givan it a flat roof instead of a slanted one :angry::D

I would also consider the security aspect, a dome screams scope and expensive kit, and would be obvious to what it contained.

A roll-off obsy can be more easily blended in as a normal shed. Sort of hiding in plain sight.

I would also consider the security aspect, a dome screams scope and expensive kit, and would be obvious to what it contained.

A roll-off obsy can be more easily blended in as a normal shed. Sort of hiding in plain sight.

Very good point,,

Guest june1902

june pointed that out to me martyn ;) ive decided roll off to be the only option..need somthing light/dry/flat, iv'e searched the internet and found load's of roll off obsy's but hardly any that show the mechanism/rolling method IE:- rollers and tracks used :(