• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

el panel for flats?

Guest paul j

hi.can anyone recommend el panel for taking flats? was thinking buying one put over end of scope.there little pricey.or any other ways take flats.my scope attached to a pier and I can't really get it close enough to a laptop screen without having take it all off.

was going to suggest laptop screen but i see your problem. Some folks here use t shirts i think or other various pieces of clothing material LOL

Sure someone with a bit more experience than me will post a better idea

Sheila

hi Sheila yeah I think I'm gonna attempt the t shirt trick.I'm fairly new to this hobbie.so still learning.I give it a go later post pic up and see if members think it looks ok.

I use a laptop for my st80 and a white shirt for the 200p. The trick is to get even lighting across the entire appature. I point the scope at a brightly lit wall with the shirt over the end, that ensures even illumination. Aim to get your historgram for your flats around half way along and you should be fine.

I have seen some people post about using an old flat panel tv or monitor. I think some of them have a large el panel behind the screen, this is I think what they are using in essence.

thanks mike I've managed buy an 10 inch embroidery clamp and pulled a white cloth through it tightly.fits spot on my scope.cost me 2.99 from the range.just going to set up a light on the wall tomorrow and give it a go.how long does the exposures have to be?

Exposure lengths can be very hit and miss, it depends on how well lit etc. Start off with say 1/125 second and have a look at the histogram, alter up and down until the graph is 1/3 the way from the bottom to the middle ish and they should be fine. Go for around 20 all exactly the same and you'll be in the ballpark.