• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CG-5 GOTO or EQ5 SynScan GOTO

Guest Madatter

Guest Madatter

I'm thinking about changing my EQ2 mount to an EQ5 GOTO.

Apart from the £25 price difference, can anybody advise me on the pros, cons and difference between the Celestron CG-5 GOTO Equatorial Mount and the Skywatcher EQ5 SynScan GOTO Equatorial Mount.

Thanks

The CG5GT goto is a better mount - it has bearings on each axis, 2" legs, more sophisticated software, larger object database, and a greater weight capacity. The only downside is the motor housings are hollow which makes it a little noisy on full slew. It's silent when tracking however. The only feasible SW upgrade from the CG5GT is the HEQ5 Synscan goto. The EQ5 would be a downgrade imho. :)

The CG5GT goto has better build quality than the Sky Watcher, it is a far better bet for your money. Glider has one, and is works just as it says on the tin!

I have owned both the EQ5 and CG5, the mounts were identical, after a strip down and regrease/de-burr they worked well.

I upgraded the EQ5 to synscan which now has the same size database as the Celestron goto.

The only thing I have not been keen on is Celestrons after sales service, I've seen lots of complaints about warranty issues etc...

The choice is yours.....

In view of Pat's recent problems with Celestron gear, that might be an important consideration.

A good point well made Andy.

In view of Pat's recent problems with Celestron gear, that might be an important consideration.

A good point well made Andy.

I only mention it as I know someone who waited nearly 4 months for a new encoder on their CG5GT.

I'd suggest the same logic as I apply to camera advice... buy what the people you know have. You will find it easier to get help with issues (because they have/have had the same mount) and you will be able to borrow accessories when needed. :)

Have EQ5 goto, and after inital problems with it (possibly because i did not know what i was doing LOL)

it has given me little problems. Seems to track fairly well and has not failed.

Sheila

My Skywatcher motor control board got fryed so I phoned the dealer sent the controller back and recieved a new one from Optical Vision (UK Skywatcher distributor) 3 days later.

I have the CG5-GT Goto and the HEQ5 Synscan Goto.

I think the CG5-GT is the better mount. It's the one I bother lugging around to Star Parties.

The HEQ5 only comes out at home.

The noise thing is a bit of a red herring, you only hear it when fast slewing and when parking. When tracking it's quiet.

The service support thing is a serious consideration though.

HEQ5 s/h = £500

CG5-GT s/h = £350

Guest Ely Ellis

Nadeem,

I have the CG5, and you just cheared me up with your 1 liner.

I know people complain about the noise when slewing, but just slewing at 1 speed step less makes it much quieter.

Martin

Guest Ely Ellis

Surprised Pat hasn't commented, but although he had a failed handset, It was the customer service from his supplier that was most of his problem.

I believe that has been sorted now.

Any comment Pat?