• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Ashby

Guest Indispensable Hobbes

Evening all. I'm Jen, I'm living in Ashby and I'm very new to this.

I'm viewing through 8x42 Opticron Imagic bins, though after what I've seen through these I really want some 15x70 cos I've been bitten by a bug!

I've managed to see the Andromeda Galexy (white fuzzy), and I've just had a squizz at Orion and think I sort of saw a glimps of the Great Nebula (through hazy cloud and smoke remnants). Jupiter lovely as ever with a couple of moons. Caught a couple of meteors last night as well.

:D

Hi Jen and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Glad you made it here - keep your eyes on the "EMS Meets" thread in "Info and Announcements" board for the next meeting. You'd be most welcome to join us and have a look at (and through) a few telescopes. We pride ourselves on helping beginners - do bring your binocs too and the folks will show you a few good binocs objects.

We have two dark sites at Sawley and Belper where we meet mostly at weekends, and at Belper we have use of a cricket pavillion where we do quarterly talks on various aspects of astronomy. If you have any questions do start a thread in the Beginners Section and someone will be along with and answer soon. Meantime enjoy the forum and hope we see you soon :)

I'm quite good at saving money but better at spending it :D Though it cant be any worse than having to have an emergency upgrade to a 200ltr fishtank cos my fancy goldfish decided to spawn earlier this year. Haha.

I'd love to get to a gathering, the logistics would have to be worked out as I dont drive.

Welcome aboard. You have found without doubt, one of the friendliest forums around IMO. You have also chosen a very good time of year to start on your journey as it is often better in colder weather for the air to be more stable, plus of course it's dark earlier and for longer :) Pitty it has to be so cold though.

Hi Jen and first off, welcome to EMS.

You have gone the right thing by getting a pair of binos first, they are a cracking bit of kit for getting you to know the night sky.

One of our other members does not drive (he's got a motorbike now) but next time a meet is arranged, we can see if there is anybody near you to give you a lift.

I'm sure somebody won't mind.

Anyway, good to have you on board.

ERM.....wrong forum Sheila, do you need more coffee?

:lol:

ROFL! :lol:

She's confused. :)

You'll get used to Sheila, Jen... She keeps us all entertained! :D

Yeah, just wait until she starts swearing at dark sites, ohhh the language..........."BOTTOM" being one of her worst swear words yet to date!

;)

Hi Jen, a warm welcome to EMS.

Your Bino's are a great tool to have, and excel at wide field objects that won't fit in scopes too well. When you do get a scope, they are still handy for finding targets for the scope.

If you don't already have it, download Stellarium, a great free bit of software.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Have a look for M44, M45, Two lovely clusters that do well in Bino's.

Here's something to keep you entertained in the mean time.

http://www.minds.may.ie/~astro2/IFASData/IFASBinocularHandbook.pdf

Enjoy the forum.

Hi Jen, welcome to EMS. :) We live in Burton, I'm sure we could help out with a lift to the meets as we're not a million miles away.

Ooh thank you all :D I've got Stellarium on my mac and skysurvey on my ipad which came in handy last night. :P

Jen just so you know what you bins can show. At this years EMS1 through my 10x42 I saw at least 8 DSO's including M81 and M82. Even though I have x2 more mag then you. I'm sure yours are just as capable.

Ooh thank you all :D I've got Stellarium on my mac and skysurvey on my ipad which came in handy last night. :P

I also have an iPad, I can recommend a few apps.

• SkySafari +
  • Star Chart
  • Star Walk
  • GoSkyWatch Planetarium

All very good. :)