• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Orion Neb.

Guest Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

Not really trying to get anything, was just playing around with the new Canon 450D (un-modded) and stuck it onto my brothers Celestron 127 XLT SCT the other night.

Took a few images and thought it looked ok, so did a quick 20 x 30 second exposures at ISO 800 and ran them through DSS.

There seemed to be some detail in there but I don't know how to really use DSS and what to look for.

I took the resulting image and ran it through GIMP, well, I have no clue how to use GIMP, didn't use curves, but went to levels and pressed AUTO.

The image here is the result.

I am quite impressed to say I was not even trying and don't know what to do re. stacking and processing, so I assume there could be a lot more detail that could be dragged out.

I will be off to work for a while, so should have plenty of time to have a go at processing.

Anyway, here it is.

Martin

if this is a play, i am going home before you post the real ones LOL. Not worth me posting mine :P

Sheila

It's always good when images come out as well as this with minimum processing. An indication the data acquired was of the 'right stuff'.

Nice job Martin.

Regards.

Nice one, that is a beauty to say you had no idea what you were doing, imagine what you can do, when you have learnt a bit - very well done!