• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Earth like planet found Your thoughts

What do we all think about this.

I have always been of the consensus that for us to believe as a world that we are the only living beings in this universe or should I say whole vast area of space we must be rearlly very tiny minded What do you think,,

So yes I suppose you can say I do believe.. in the ET whether they are "ET" as depicted or are the same as us either more or less advanced than us I dont care I just think they exist..

Andy

I believe there will be other life in the universe and I also believe it could be so alien that we may not recognise it as life.

To believe that we are the only life in existence, by pure chance, when the same laws of physics apply across the universe is very small and narrow minded. It makes me question our future as a species when we see high ranking politicians questioning the funding of space exploration programmes, whether that be observation or actual travel.

I also think the odds of SETI uncovering any signals are so remote... Not only would life elsewhere have had to evolve on a similar technological path to us, it would have had to done so, used the technology heavily and used the technology long before we did so that those signals would be reaching us now.

I think our best hope for finding evidence of life elsewhere lies right in our own back yard.

While I was waiting to have my haircut I read in the Mail that this new planet they found lays bang in the middle of the goldilocks zone and has a temperature of 23°C, pretty much perfect. Problem is it's 600 light years away.

Guest Kheldar

While I was waiting to have my haircut I read in the Mail that this new planet they found lays bang in the middle of the goldilocks zone and has a temperature of 23°C, pretty much perfect. Problem is it's 600 light years away.

Problem is they don't know its mass, density or composition yet - will be summer 2012 (290 days period of orbit) before they can calculate some of that.

As Craig said about us picking up transmissions from out there They would have to have been sent a long time ago

But it would also have to been sent in and via a technology that we already have.. We are so young as a race compared with the age of not just our universe but the whole solar system. We define things by what we can see and hear and our equipment defines things with such things as radio and the invisable wave lengths as well as the other technologies we listen to the sky with at the present But this is our our extent to its "listening" There must and will be other types of transmissions that we have no ideas about as yet And when found and understood will need to build equipment to be able to receive and make sense of.

Look at the underwater neutrino telescope that is in operation at the moment As yet and with all that money spent There has not one neutrino been found as yet..never mind enough to be able to map the universe which is the primary function and the reason it was set up and developed? Its may be that the reason they have not found one as yet may just be that the equipment is not working or sensitive enough to find or register them. Even on the documentary they said it may need to be ten times the present size

Its like this in its simplest of for how do you look for something that you do not know even exists?

I would like to think that the evidence of rock, water and life is there before us if only we have the technology to see it. Only a matter of time I guess.

People say if they are out there and have visited us why not make contact. I ten read today that the UK have issued a shoot on site to all RAF pilots and have said the reason is because its a UFO and is in our airspace it need to be brought down simple as.its been said there has been at least 4 that we know of where a RAF plane as fired at a UFO but to date a miss every time The powers that be say its only a matter of time as the equipment is getting better and better. I would say if they are admitting this then they would classify a UFO as a terrestrial unidentified object not extraterrestrial. Plus there has been something about some helicopters that where also chasing a UFO over Wales not long ago So lets face it if they was non terrestrial would you want to make contact in these cases LOL