• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ARGH

Celeste

I set up the scope last night out the back to try my new to me zoom, but the mount was having none of it :( TWICE on alignment it turned itself OFF then ON again (reset) and I was also having issues polar aligning as the alt bolt is bent (floppy wobbly head) so I gave up on aligning.....and just slewed to M45 to try the CCD in...too big :( Couldn't get any focused image longer than 5 seconds anyway (really bad) So I decided to go for an eyeball of the double cluster but as soon as the mount started moving it turned off and on again. No grinding noises this time....the motors were working fine. URGH. I eventually went for Jupiter, set the mount tracking and managed 1500 frames whilst using the handset to keep Jupiter on the screen.

On the plus side.....the Televue zoom works a treat :D only needs a touch of refocus after altering. Perfect for Lewis and his new xmas scope pressie he's picked out.

Sounds a frustrating night Nicky, I bought replacement bolts of Ebay as I didn't think the originals were strong enough for a 'grab'n'go EQ5 mount! Well worth it though.

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

I had the same issue with my mount Nicky and it turns out it wasn't drawing enough from the battery. I had a crappy 2A fuse in there. Martyn has now given me a 15A fuse.

It might be worth checking the battery and/or any fuses.

I was using an extension lead Craig....it seems as though something electrical was going on, the entire thing turned off then on again...perhaps a short somewhere? The extension lead is fine i've tested it and it has an rcd on so if any issues were there I would know.

Ron, I can't get the bent bolt out to put in a new one lol.

Kim, i'll tell you later what he's picked :D

Unsure Craig, it's done the same thing on both battery and mains....they use different power leads. Never mind it's pushing me more towards pressing a certain button tomorrow :D :D

Nicky - order the replacement bolts for the mount - it will help get a better price when you sell it on and well worth the small investment.

Well remembered Tobias :)