• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Considering a 40mm WO SWAN EP

Craig

Has anybody had any experience of these?

/>http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-swan-eyepiece.html

I'm actually tempted by the 40mm, 33mm, 25mm and 20mm. (not all, prob 2 or 3)

With a 2350mm focal length, I'm not particularly interested in anything smaller (I don't think...).

40mm = 58x magnification

33mm = 71x magnification

25mm = 94x magnification

20mm = 117x magnification

I'll try and remember to pop them in the car when I go to work on Monday and bring them to Wymeswold. But if I forget it may have to be next observing session. :)

(my memory ain't what it was so I allways have to include a waiver lol)

That's exactly what I'm looking at at the moment Craig :) Kim! I just remembered we said that we'd arrange who's house to go/come to RE:having a look at the WO SWAN EP's! We both forgot though so it's all good :D

Ohhh we did too Felix - told you my memory was shot to pieces lol. Craig - sorry mate you're in a queue - Felix if you're free sometime this week (except Monday) on a clear night just gimme a bell. We can have a couple of hours (at yours or mine) then I can let Craig have a loan next weekend :)

How do you find them Kim, are they worth the money? If I get a recommendation, I may just bite the bullet and buy them.

They're horrible - the Televues are much better lol. :P

Seriously though - they are very nice pieces for the price - I still enjoy looking at Andromeda with the 40mm and 300P. Little bent at the edges but I just move the center over the bit I wanna look at. I doubt I'll sell either of them but can recommend them both as a good first upgrade on a budget. :)

I was looking at the WO 28mm UWAN, come in at just under £300......spec below.....

28mm UWAN, 2"

6/4 lenses/groups

82 degrees FOV

18mm eye-relief

Weight 1000g

Any thoughts Kim, you have one/had one at some point - lol?

Bit over budget at £300 for me Daz-although I'm not saying I haven't looked at the UWAN's :D

For that price though I might wait for s/h TV's to come onto ABS. Just looking at SWAN's at present.

Yeah - Uwan's are the better option imho - less costly than TV's but approaching TV performance - the 28mm is particularly good - but ask Mick about them if you're serious - he's has a case of Uwan's. Those are in a whole different league to the Swans :)

If you get the big UWAN Daz, I'd love to have a look through it.

It will be really good in your F5 dob and give you pretty much the widest and brightest views you can get, but you may need to counterbalance it.

Counterbalance is all ready taken care of, just need to save now to buy the thing.!

And when I do get it, your more than welcome to have a look.

Cheers Daz, the only problem is that you might get addicted to that "spacewalk experience" :D .

Then you'll want 82 degrees or more on all your eps.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to save up for a couple of Naglers. I'm planning to get the 31mm and 22mm ones. With a 2x barlow, this means I have 15.5mm and 11mm as well.

I'm also mulling over the 41mm Panoptic but Martyn said I might have problems with this in a reflecting telescope. Any advice regarding this?

I know they're expensive but I like to get something I know has a good reputation and will satisfy me (hence why I ended up with the 925 and NEQ6).

Not tried the 35mm Panoptic in my Sct yet Craig but I'll bring it to the next meeting and you can take it for a spin. I'll bring the 40mm Swan too just for a comparison - the Naglers sound like a good move. :)