• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Running Man or Pheonix, which do you see?

Perkil8r

Just an observation I've made. The region in Orion of NGC 1973, 1975 and 1977, is refered to as the Running Man Nebula, but when I look at it, I don't so much see a running man, I see what looks more like a Phionix rising from the flames kind of thing. What do you make of it? Maybe it's one of thos ink blott type situations where everybody interprates it differently?

both running man and phoenix, depends which way you look at it

Sheila

Edited by Sheila

Looking at your image Mike, I see a Phoenix for the first time. I might nick that for my desktop if don't mind, it looks great.

Hmm interesting observation mike. Might have to have a re-look :)

People do interpret things as individually so I guess we see what we we either want or are influenced to see. Then I course there's the multitude of other confounding factor that could influence how we all interpret images-bit heavy for here though lol! :) It's a Rorschach Test that you were likening it to in your first post.

Looking at your image Mike, I see a Phoenix for the first time. I might nick that for my desktop if don't mind, it looks great.

Of course you can Pete, I would be honoured :) if you click on the image and go into flickr you can get it full res.

@Daz I too see lots of cake, it's all about cake. :lol:

Thanks Mike.

Got the full res on my desktop. Looks great and I love the orientation, it is different from the usual images.

Called it MikesPhoenixandabigcake.jpg :D .

Thanks Mike.

Got the full res on my desktop. Looks great and I love the orientation, it is different from the usual images.

Called it MikesPhoenixandabigcake.jpg :D .

Great title :lol: