• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I would like to apologise

Guest MrsR

Just nipped out for half an hour and clouds coming over :( hopefully clearer when out again in a bit , clearest thing so far is Cassiopeia but not found the clusters yet

I just looked at Cas as well and it's just misting over in cloud - I'm not convinced it's moving away yet - maybe later. :)

Have you got a collimator? Next time you're at a meeting ask around for the loan of an eyepiece or two to try out - you may want a nice low power wide angle lens for that scope - you'd fit the entire plieades in fov at 30mm+ I have some you might like to try. A dew shield can be made very cheaply from camping mat to protect the secondary. There will be other stuff you'll want too :)

I need to get a diagonal for that as really cricks your neck looking through it.

Have come in as half misty sky and my eye is killing me - its really intense isn't it when you are constantly looking through isn't it.

Couldn't find the clusters round Cas :(

I knew you'd say that lol - time to drop a hint to hubby about a small gift for xmas - one of these are great:

http://www.telescope...gle_Finder.html

Or alternatively a telrad is excellent - though straight through it's a lot easier to use:

http://www.firstligh...-astronomy.html

If you have the time and inclination and persistence to mod the existing one then go for it - but I looked into that a long time ago and it exhausted me so much I gave up in frustration. John in Derby on SGL will have a solution if you pm him - he's about the only one who does this sorta thing but he's an engineer with loads of engineering gear to hand. :)

(I use both btw)

Found it really hard to position to the right star in Cas, plus my base is quite stiff so no slight nudge movement to enable me to move a fraction.

Oh so many things to sort lol

Dobs are smashing but nearly all of them get mod'ed to a greater or lesser extent cos they're never "just right" out of the box lol - but you'll get plenty of help here - welcome to the dob club Nikki :)

Doc and Felix have recently put "lazy susan's" on their dobs az to smooth out - they're the guys to talk to - plus Baz is an eternal dob mod'er lol :)

(Oh and Darren too - nobody knew anything about lazy susans till he told them lol) ;)

Doc and Felix have recently put "lazy susan's" on their dobs az to smooth out - they're the guys to talk to - plus Baz is an eternal dob mod'er lol :)

Don't forget me, Felix used my guide to do his lazy Susan ... :(

Edited by Daz Type-R

Don't forget me, Felix used my guide to do his lazy Susan ... :(

Unfortunately I didn't use your guide in the end I'm afraid daz :(

I had to do it a different way due to the moveable setting circle. I just centred my lazy Susan bearing using a tape measure then screwed in the bottom of the bearing then drilled the access hole through the ground board with a flat drill bit so I could screw the top part of the lazy Susan to the top board. I did not want to just sit the top board on so had to take a drill to my precious Dob! That way I did need not a central bolt. I needed the central bolt out of the way so that I could screw in the spirit level to the centre of the top board to make it easier to level.Your guide is what got me started though and gave me all the websites to buy the kit from-invaluable guide and with pictures too!

Edited by catman161

Unfortunately I didn't use your guide in the end I'm afraid daz :(

I had to do it a different way due to the moveable setting circle. I just centred my lazy Susan bearing using a tape measure then screwed in the bottom of the bearing then drilled the access hole through the ground board with a flat drill bit so I could screw the top part of the lazy Susan to the top board. I did not want to just sit the top board on so had to take a drill to my precious Dob! That way I did need not a central bolt. I needed the central bolt out of the way so that I could screw in the spirit level to the centre of the top board to make it easier to level.Your guide is what got me started though and gave me all the websites to buy the kit from-invaluable guide and with pictures too!

No problem Felix the comment was aimed more at Kim. !

I amended my post Darren once I saw your comment. But just for Felix reference Mick did his first lazy susan mod long before I even started astronomy (and on a much bigger scope) and Martyn did his mods long before I had a dobsonian scope too.

I've seen and used those mod'ed scopes and those two have also helped me with mods to mine once I got one - so they are the ones that naturally spring to mind first. This doesn't cheapen or denigrate Darrens plans at all - but I do like to quote from experience where possible especially when I'm helping others. :)

(I've actually only seen Darrens plans here on the forum which on paper look great)