• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello fellow mankini wearers

Guest Dirk Dongler

Guest Dirk Dongler

Evenin all.....great name for a topic

Anyway.....getting ready to take the plunge and get a SW 10" dob

and want to know whats the best wide angle ep to just use for

scannin around

Was wonderin about the Meade 5000 jobbies or the SW ones

Anyway gotta dash as the gimp mask needs hosing down and

the nipple clamps need polishing..... :ph34r:

Later all

Dave

That's wierd gear for astronomy - hope you don't turn up to a session in that outfit lol ;)

Depends on budget - but the Meade's are very good glass - I rate them over SW. Look at Naglers and Axioms too - also WO Uwans and Explorere Scientific if you can stretch to those - maybe s/h? Hth :)

That's wierd gear for astronomy - hope you don't turn up to a session in that outfit lol ;)

Depends on budget - but the Meade's are very good glass - I rate them over SW. Look at Naglers and Axioms too - also WO Uwans and Explorere Scientific if you can stretch to those - maybe s/h? Hth :)

dunno might be quite interesting if he did turn up dressed in those :o;)

Sheila

Came in expecting men in mankinis... left disappointed. :(

Men in mankinis wearing nipple clamps and gimp masks it will be the strangest star meet I've ever been to.

Men in mankinis wearing nipple clamps and gimp masks it will be the strangest star meet I've ever been to.

:lol: But a normal Saturday night at home? ;)

Bring the Dob to a dark site and try some of ours before you buy.

A short focal ratio Dob like yours will be more likely to show up abberations toward the edge of the field especially in a cheap wide angle ep. Usually the more you pay for a wide field ep the less noticeable the abberations. In cheaper wide angle eyepieces the edge of field may not focus as well as the middle and stars may look a elongated or comet shaped. But as Kim says, secondhand might be worth looking at as it may help you afford a better quality ep.

Judging by the wording in your post, maybe abberations don't bother you too much :D :D :D .

Guest Dirk Dongler

Craig....when I looked @ M31 in your scope,what ep did you have in?

If I purchased one could I expect similar results in a 10" dob?

Dave

Trust you to invite the prospect of that Shiela - just not on cub scout night please lol :)

always like to live up to my reputation Kim :lol: :lol:

Craig....when I looked @ M31 in your scope,what ep did you have in?

If I purchased one could I expect similar results in a 10" dob?

Dave

I was using a cheap 32mm 2" eye piece.

You definitely don't have to pay through the nose for pleasing views. I'd suggest you try different eyepieces at a meet to see what you like and what you don't. When I had my 12" dob, I loved the 32mm and I still do now.

Your dob will love a decent 30mm-35mm wide angle 2" eyepiece - you get more coverage of the larger objects in the fov (eg M31, M45 etc) :)

Because the 2" ep is wider than 1.25".

It takes in a wider part of the light cone focused by the telescope. You can get wide angle 1.25" eps but the wideness is limited to just under 1.25", the biggest lens that can be fitted in the ep. The 2" ep can have a nearly a 2" wide lens in it, hence an even wider angle. Look for eps of focal length 25mm to 35mm and that state 60, 70, 80 or even 100 degrees. Normal eps are around 50 degrees.

I hope this is summer attire, or there's going to be an urgent need for a brass welder! :D