• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Caps on or off when bringing in from the cold

Guest MrsR

What I do is (after an observing session) leave the caps off and point the OTA downwards so if any moisture is in the tube, it will drain out the open end rather than on the mirror, but i only do that if it has been a really, really cold night and dew/frost is forming.

Being left in the garage (same as mine) it should not be an issue due to it staying cold.

The next day, I point it upright again and place the covers back on.

Been doing that for over a year with no issues yet.

I always cover my scope but leave the little cap off (little cap on the big cap) and park it hoizontal.

My scope has lived outside for 9 years and is fine, think I need to clean the main mirror next year.

If it's in the garage you may like to consider some kind of cover to keep the bugs out - you don't want to mistake M42 for a bug squished on the mirror lol. Bringing in from the cold I agree with the above - point down at an angle so condensation can drip away from the mirror and out of the tube (dried water blobs on the mirror will leave marks). :)

After using an eyepiece - pop into a warm soft pocket for a few mins to dry then put the caps back on. I keep them capped in a case with the lid down so they don't get dewed up :)

Thanks Kim I kept them in my pocket as noted an earlier post of yours but wasn't sure what to so with the one I had even using when I brought the scope ack into the garage. thanks x

Mine go on. I tend to not leave eyepieces unprotected in the elements anyway and have dew control that keeps the one in use pretty dew free.

Same with the scope, the lid goes on the front whilst the dew control is still active so it's moisture free.