• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi Just joined.

Streetbob

Hi Just joined. I also have a Skywatcher 130 as a starter scope (about 9 months now). I think it is excellent to start with. I can see enough to keep me excited and encourages me to find more, but also makes me want to upgrade to something better.

No GoTo, I enjoy hunting objects, though not always successfully.

My main problem is having spent an evening getting used to my scope and the sky, by the time another clear evening comes along I've forgotten it all and am back to square one. Doh!

Hi Doug and welcome to EMS! :)

That's a good starter scope as you've found. Have you suffered aperture fever yet? :D

Fraid so. Though not sure where to go. The longer I wait the more I'll have to spend.

Hi Doug and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

If you need any help don't hesitate to pop up a question thread in the beginners section - someone will be along with an answer soon. If you need practical help why not join us at a meeting sometime and we'll soon get you going.

We rent two dark sites at Belper and Wymeswold and you'd be most welcome to pop over for an evening - If you enjoy being there then you'll be invited to join up as a full member (current subs £20 per yr) - and use the sites whenever you feel like a session.

Meantime - enjoy the forum which is totally free :)

The thought of a dark sky sounds good. The glare from the city is a drawback. Wymeswold is fairly close so hope to get there.

Hi Doug, welcome to ems :-) i've a 130p too, mines a sw heritage dob on a £5 Ikea table.

I'm the same, forgetting what I've learnt lol.

Keeps me interested so I don't get bored. And keen for next clear night. Unfortunately can't get out this eve, Boo.

When you're ready to pop down for a meeting Doug - keep your eye on the Info and Announcements section under "EMS Meets" and you'll see a meeting thread go up. These mostly appear at the weekends - meetings are often arranged on the day and can be subject to late cancellation if the weather turns.

The thread will have full date, time, and location information. Hope to see you there soon :)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Doug,

Welcome to EMS, if you do not have a star atlas would suggest 'sky & telescope pocket sky atlas', and 'turn left at orion' which is a great guide to star hopping. As you have access to pc try Stellarium, free planetarium program that can be found here ...http://www.stellarium.org/

Cheers

Damian

Think my next purchase will be a decent eyepiece

Highly recommend the baader Hyperion 8-24mm Clickstop zoom. Brilliant eyepiece :)

Hi doug and welcome to EMS.

Lots of nice folks and advice on here

We all hope for clear nights and are continually disappointed :( Lets hope all our luck changes

Sheila

Hi Doug and welcome to EMS.

If you are considering an all in one EP then you could do a lot worse than the Baarder 8-24mm click stop zoom. Not cheap at around £180 but a lot cheaper than a 24mm 17, 12 and 8mm which are £90 each

Hi doug. I also have a 130 scope. (celestron though) I've got major aperture fever.

Enjoy the forum, everyone here is always helpful and friendly.

I can't give you much advise on eye pieces, other than I hear baader hyperions are good.

Hi Doug, a warm welcome to EMS.

Looks like you are off to a great start, and with Saturn going to be up at dawn soon, that's just going to make it a cert for the fever! :)

Before you go for another scope, come and have a look through some and see what floats your boat. I suspect if you don't want goto, and want to look for Deep Sky Object's, then a Dob would suit, more bang for the buck on the optics.

The same with eyepieces, although there are some superb quality ones out there, they don't suit everyone. Again have a look through some before parting with your hard earn cash.

My neighbours may also know you, they are both Harley nuts. Scopes or Bikes? Tough one! :)

Thanks for your welcomes. Scopes or Bikes? Scopes in the winter, bike in the summer. Hope to meet you at a dark sight soon. Shall try and hold out before acquiring a new ep. No guarantees.