• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New planetary camera?

Guest paul j

Morning all.I'm looking into a new planetary camera my Toucam pro past it.I'm a total novice when it comes to imaging planets such as Jupiter.my toucam not up to the standards I want to achieve.can anyone recommend one for me? also if I wanted to image Jupiter and in my photos it would show the bands in colour a mono Camera wouldn't Do that right? would I need buy a colour Camera or filters?I would like flea3 Camera but it's pricey and I probably be better of starting out on something cheaper I just haven't a clue which one.

Hey Paul,

Dunno if you have seen Altair Astros new planetary offering? Looking at website and the pictures taken with it-looks stunning :) Link below.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/index.php?/topic/2908-New-range-of-autoguiding-and-planetary-imaging-astro-video-cameras

Edited by catman161

Thanks felix yeah they look great and the price aint bad either,im gonna have to talk to the wife,looks like i making dinner today:-) i give altair a ring tomo and ask few more questions as im a complete novice when it comes to imaging using a web cam and i probably need it explaining in simple terms.many thanks i think im sold on the £339.50 one

No probs :) I was sorely tempted myself but I have an SPC900 myself and have only attempted to use it twice (the second time being last night!) and I remembered why. It's because I do not have enough inward focuser travel to achieve focus. So I either need to get a x2 powermate or an Orion/antares self centering adapter with the prices being (respectfully) £100-185 s/h and £33 new I think I may opt for the Orion adapter. However the powermate would give me more detailed images. What to do,what to do!

blimey i never thought about focus i just thought you pop them in back of scope and use your focuser to focus it and then click capture,ive alot to learn,ibestnot go out and buy one just yet until i ask few more questions.

Yeah no matter what I do I can't get focus with the out of the box 1/4 inch nose piece adapter and it adds a good 40mm of extra length to the focus tube length so I will alleviate that problem with the Orion adapter however I would also alleviate it with the powermate and get magnification so I'm in a catch 22 as to why to do at present :o

Edited by catman161

Righty job done-roll on payday and ABS here I come. Well not straight away I have looked and there aren't any on there t the moment! Don't really wanna go for new but may be forced to as want to get started with the webcam especially in time for Jupiter's opposition :)

are you using the camera with a sct scope, looks like one in your aviatar,

if so you won`t have any focus problems and adding a barlow lens to it can make it very hard to get the image onto the tiny chip as the field of view is very small.

if your looking for the best quality plantary images then i would say you need a mono camera, you get more detail from a mono chip than a colour.

the philips webcams can be modded to have mono chips, astonomiser do a mono chip upgrade making the chip 4x more sensitive than the colour for £65 although you have to supply the webcam also, or you can go for the icx618 chip which is supposed to be 16x more sensitive than the colour chip, same chip as in the new dmk cameras, these are about £135 with astronomiser.

the only proplem with the philips webcams is the frames per second, about 10 fps max before you start compressing data where as the dmk cameras can be about 30 or more fps but they do cost alot more.

i`ve just perchased a modded philips with a 618 chip, not had chance to use it yet but am hoping for great things from it, stick a filter wheel on the front and your away.

• 1 year later...

Hi Paul , you should check out the Inova plb c-2  its about  Â£250  I have had mine for a while now  & with some help from  Ian at Altair ,I have achieved some decent  colour shots of  Jupiter & venus, it seems to respond very well with 2.5x power mate & my 130edt apo, 

Hi Paul , you should check out the Inova plb c-2 its about £250 I have had mine for a while now & with some help from Ian at Altair ,I have achieved some decent colour shots of Jupiter & venus, it seems to respond very well with 2.5x power mate & my 130edt apo,

He's probably got it sorted now as this thread is over a year old :)