• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First light with my Dob 250

Guest MrsR

Well I finally ordered and received my scope after trying to decide which one to go for for a year.

I took it out from the garage so it was cooled already and put it together outside in the garden - I had to take it apart to enable me to carry it alone.

First mistake is to wear a coat that has only 1 pocket as I had to fit both eyepieces and caps in this only pocket and without a red light had to fumble about finding the right thing I wanted - Which got trickier the colder my hands got.

Finally I am ready to go and point straight up to the clearest bit of sky. I couldn't make out what it was but was dying to take a look through so bent down to the finderscope - well I was surprised how much I had to twist round to look through the scope - an adjustment needed for this I think. Then I look through the EP and am just astounded by how many stars I can see. Doesn't matter how many times I look at the night sky with a naked eye to see a few stars to then look through a scope to then see hundreds, well it always makes me smile. I tried to work out what it was I was looking at and just got myself frustrated as I'd come out without the laptop and Stellarium and no books as didn't think it was worth it without a red light. Second mistake noted - get a red torch.

I swung round to the moon out of frustration of not knowing what I was looking at and was very pleasantly surprised at what I could see and the detail. That was me stuck for half an hour :)

I then had to go in to read my twins a bedtime but also took the time to look at the star map in this months S@N and decided to go for Cas and its clusters.

Back in the garden and I could find Cas no problem but found that when I tried to star jump to the correct star to find the cluster I just got lost because there were that many stars I didn't know what was Cas and what wasn't, and also because my Dob was not smooth enough to nudge only a fraction. I tried and tried but just couldn't find any clusters and so stepped away from the scope to just look at the night sky. This was the eat thing I have ever done as I have never seen a meteor and what did I see but a meteor - made me feel, we'll its indescribable as I'd waited so long to see one. I then just stared at the same spot for about 20 Mins stunned lol

I went back to Cas and after trying to find my way I had to give up as my eyes were going strange from straining I think.

My first light was chaotic especially as I have on 1 flat spot in my garden and its right net to a set of stairs so bit tricky in the dark!

I learnt I need to do more homework before I go out but I was just dying to get out.

I need to learn the night sky inside first.

Wish this was more technical but I am very new, quite literally a toddler but hopefully I will grow as there is so much to learn.

Fabulous report - very enjoyable read Nikki :)

Now I know why you're eye went funny - half an hour on the moon is enough to burn a hole in your head lol - you can reduce the brightness with a moon filter or pop the tube cap on and remove the small offset cap within it. That'll dim the brightness to a more comfy level. Put the loose cap on the offset mound within the tube cap for safe keeping.

Told you it was worth reporting - and congrats on your first light :)

Lovely first light report Nikki, fingers crossed the weather for our area is looking good on Wednesday, so when I pop round, I will show you some of the gems the night sky has to offer, trust me, in 2-3 months, you will re-read this report and laugh at yourself, wondering why it all seemed so difficult. With the right kit and a little know how, you can see some wonderfull stuff, dont worry, we will get you sorted!

I really enjoyed reading this Nikki, best advice would be to learn your constellations, then memorise the objects within in them. Then one by one find them at least ten times each, as they say practise makes perfect.

Fantastic read Nikki :) Really enjoyable. It'll be so much easier for you once you have a lazy Susan bearing in place your scope is a beast! I'm sure Darren will help you with that on Wednesday :)

I never tire of reading first light reports.

It never fails to amaze people as to how many stars there are out there, and that's where it gets tricky finding some things.

I wouldn't worry about finding things to start with, it all falls into place in time, enjoy the view, it's awesome.

When your scope gets a make over, it will be a lot easier to use.

Looks like Santa will be busy. :)

I love reading first light reports as well, the enthusiasm of somebody using their scope for the first time is infectious.

Glad you like it Nikki :)

Great read.

Finding objects is tricky especially open clusters on the Milky way.

The double cluster is a great target and very rewarding.