• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

flats problem

Guest paul j

Hi all, i took some flats using a laptop on the end of the scope,i started processing my images in nebulosity but when i got to the flats it stopped and said flat file not of right colour type.im stumped as to why, my only thought is i got a few grubby marks on my laptop screen and could that be the problem? i never noticed them until i took the photos of the camera,im new to all this but slowly getting there ive never come across this problem before, i took the images on iso 1600 through my canon 1100d with the laptop tight up to the scope.and the files are in tiff format.any help be greatly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with Nebulosity. Could it be that they are over or under exposed maybe? How far along is the main part of the histogram?? In an ideal situation it wants to be somewhere close to the middle of the graph. Dirt on the screen shouldn't really matter too much (within reason of course.)

Guest Kheldar

How did you get tiff images? RAW would be simpler if they came off the camera like that?

I've only seen that error once, and that was because I forgot to debayer the flat files before attempting to stack.

Edited by Kheldar

I'm sorry my mistake I think they was raw when came of Camera and I attempted covert them to tif when I got the problem.I'm new to this only managed produce one other picture.I check the histogram next time too I never looked at that either.thanks

How did you take the flats, did you use EOS utility, and when you put them into nebulosity how did you ask it to process them? i.e. colour or B & W

Sheila

Hi Sheila no didnt use eos i just put the laptop up against the scope end and had my canon camera on av iso 1600 and just kept pressing the shutter with a remote,im new to all this and yes its giving me a headache too :-) but i love it and determined to get over this hurdle, ive managed processing a photo not really done anything different or least i dont think so,asking about colour or black white i honestly couldnt tell you i never thought it gave u that option im gonna have to look into that.i just copied dions nebuslosity tutorial of astronomy shed.

Just check and make sure you process as colour not B & W, that would have caused you a problem

if you prcessed in B & W. Apart from that I am out of ideas LOL

Sheila

In got my processing finally sorted.it was a problem with my flats.I used a new set and everything went fine.just need clear night now and start imaging again.