• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Why do you enjoy astronomy?

Cazz

After talking to another member recently, it soon became apparent that we both enjoyed astronomy for reasons other than just looking at the stars. We both get a sense of freedom, a feeling of empowerment and well being from the hobby.

This got me wondering if there is a certain type of person who enjoys astronomy? I guess I'm wondering is there a deeper reason why we enjoy freezing ourselves in the dark?

So, why do you enjoy astronomy? What else does it give or do for you? I'm very interested in your thoughts please. :)

On a more serious note, I just love anything to do with science, I have all ways been fascinated by the universe, and to merely look upwards with my own kit and see some of the wonders and just thinking that I am looking at something that it's light has taken 2 million years to reach me, is just truly amazing.

I have loved just looking up from being a little lad, I remember how dark and clear the nights used to be on camping trips...

Just read a quote on my Kindle Fire I would like to share:

Out under a canopy of stars, where the Milky Way shines so brightly over your head, you really get a sense of being on the Earth spinning in space.

It is often quiet and nature tends to move very slowly at night. It is a time to be still, look up and just notice. This isn't on TV or the Web this is the real thing,

the Universe,and if you really pay attention you can feel your place in it. You are tiny beyond imagination, and yet you are also here and aware of the awe!!

Cheers

Ron

Just read a quote on my Kindle Fire I would like to share:

Out under a canopy of stars, where the Milky Way shines so brightly over your head, you really get a sense of being on the Earth spinning in space.

It is often quiet and nature tends to move very slowly at night. It is a time to be still, look up and just notice. This isn't on TV or the Web this is the real thing,

the Universe,and if you really pay attention you can feel your place in it. You are tiny beyond imagination, and yet you are also here and aware of the awe!!

Cheers

Ron

Like ;)

Part of the fun for me is finding things. I like to develop and progress. This normally means learning new things, there is always and I think always will be something new for me to learn in this hobby.

The progression element is also well catered for in astronomy due to the groundbreaking work taken by those that have come before us i.e. all the lists and catalogues, messier etc. I like the challenge of picking objects that were found by a person with a tiny telescope and attempting to find then with my own. It satisfies both my curiosity and my need to develop myself and learn more whilst being very enjoyable. I'm (supposedly) a fully grown 30 year old man, yet you wouldn't think that if you saw me find a new Messier object that I've not found before-I'm like a child when I finally find them, brimming with excitement and joy that I found something in the sky. Now that I've written it down I sound like I right saddo!

Best thing is I'm not really bothered :)

Edited by catman161

makes me realise and put into perspective how small we are compared to everything.

And i am a bit of a Sheldon Cooper when it comes to science and how everything

works. i learnt that first and then decided to just observe it for myself and see

where it was all happening. Some really cool stuff happening up there and we

can see it millions of years after it has gone. Awesome

Sheila

PS and it gets me away for hubby for a while :lol:

Edited by Sheila

I'm just fascinated by all that stuff out there gazzillions of light years away at distances the human mind can't comprehend. I love the artwork in nebulae, the challenge of splitting doubles and resolving cores of golbulars, the beauty of open clusters glittering like diamonds on blankets of pitch black nothingness, the challenge of comet hunting, retrograde motions of planets, gawping dumbstruck at galaxies, and all the other objects.

The joy of big boys Meccano everytime I put a rig together that works is so much fun and satisfaction - and the hilarity of hanging out with an astro crowd takes a lot to beat. Plus I've allways liked camping (more so glamping nowadays) which fits in very nicely with the hobby. But perhaps one of the biggest kicks is showing an object to someone who never looked at the sky before and experiencing their surprise and joy - or seeing the penny drop when explaining where everything is and how to find it to someone who just got a scope with no idea where to start - that does it for me too.

It's all just ... well.... brilliant really. :)

I enjoy the chance to switch off from the stress of everyday life. Staring into space so to speak is very relaxing. Also as mentioned previously, the scale of what you're seeing is overwealming, I also find it rather humbling to realise just how small we are in the scheme of things. It's just mind blowing. And of course..... there is cake!

Thanks everyone, it's clear there are assorted but similar reasons why we all do it. :-)

For me it's a time for my mind to be free, and astronomers are all very helpful and encouraging to each other, it is indeed a fab hobby for all these reasons, thank you everyone. :-)

Part of the fun for me is finding things. I like to develop and progress. This normally means learning new things, there is always and I think always will be something new for me to learn in this hobby.

The progression element is also well catered for in astronomy due to the groundbreaking work taken by those that have come before us i.e. all the lists and catalogues, messier etc. I like the challenge of picking objects that were found by a person with a tiny telescope and attempting to find then with my own. It satisfies both my curiosity and my need to develop myself and learn more whilst being very enjoyable. I'm (supposedly) a fully grown 30 year old man, yet you wouldn't think that if you saw me find a new Messier object that I've not found before-I'm like a child when I finally find them, brimming with excitement and joy that I found something in the sky. Now that I've written it down I sound like I right saddo!

Best thing is I'm not really bothered :)

I get a buzz when the ISS passes over, my mrs asks am I not sick of seeing it ? Don't think I ever will be...

I get a buzz when the ISS passes over, my mrs asks am I not sick of seeing it ? Don't think I ever will be...

I love that too! It a brilliant melding of the innovation of our species and the natural world of space and time-amazing :)

There are a coupe of reasons I enjoy astronomy.

When I was a child I was taken to church and told about creation, but it never inspired me and I didn't believe it. When I learned about the creation of the universe through science, about the big bang theory, about the solar system, the planets and our sun, I was amazed. Science inspired me then and inspires me now, and astronomy is a way of making it "real". Looking through a telescope at these things makes me feel very humble, small and insignificant.

There's also the social aspect which I need in any hobby. When I first started looking to get into astronomy I went looking for somewhere I could get involved, so I wouldn't be doing it on my own. My hobbies do not last very long if I don't have somebody to share them with. I couldn't find this in photography, bird watching or any other hobby I had tried my hand at, but I did find it when I met the guys from EMS. I think EMS is one of the reasons I love astronomy, rather than the other way around. Without it, I wouldn't have stuck it out.

Iam into it for all the good reasons already mentioned.

I think that it is rewarding when you find something, not just something new, but stuff you have seen hundreds of times, it never fails to amaze me.

The sheer scale of the Universe is just staggering. Where distances become so pointless, they are beyond our comprehension, but for us, it doesn't stop you trying to get your head round it all. It is almost the cheek of trying to second guess the Universe, daring to try and imagine what is beyond what we can't see. I think it is because we question what is out there, it is that, that unites us in this unique hobby. Unique, because all other hobbies are restricted to this Planet. Astronomy is the opposite, and from that point on the limits are boundless.

I have seen stars explode and die in distant Galaxies, (SN2011 in M101 being the last one). Stars being born out of vast unfathomable clouds of cold gas and dust, storms on planets other than our own. The list goes on and on.

The fact that every atom in our bodies, came from stars that have been and gone, we are part of all of it, like it or not. (I think I came from the bottom corner of the star bits box :) ).

If anyone can see Saturn, or any of the sights we can readily see, and not be amazed, then we humans are doomed.

For me it is a real release from the stresses of life, a chance to get my emotions in order, and get that childlike enjoyment out of unwrapping new kit, finding new objects, and simply staring upwards.

The social side is also one of the real bonuses for me. Even though there are people with way more expensive kit than mine, I have never found anyone not willing to share their experiences, and are more than happy to get you to the eyepiece.

There is always more to see and learn, and then share that knowledge.

And long may it continue.

For me its a couple of reasons it provides a good sense of perspective for me whenever I get bogged down in earthly problems just remembering the incomprehensible size of the universe and all the fascinating events in it help me get along with life! I'm not a religious person I'm actually very scornful of modern religions but theres something "spiritual" about gazing at a distant object so far away that you're looking into the past. Deep stuff :o