• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Two inch 2x Powermate

catman161

As the title suggests really. Am after a s/h but good condition 2 inch 2x TV Powermate so I can use with SPC900 webcam to get some shots of Jupiter. If anyone sees any about feel free to give me a heads up via PM. Thanks

Fair enough. Is more aimed at those who already own one. Was just saying to Kim that I missed out on or on eBay lay Sunday by 50p!! #annoyed!!

It often happens like that on ebay, and you just miss an absolute bargain and kick yourself.

Done that a few times.

If I see one at a similar price Felix I'll either try and reserve it or snap it up for you - let me know the top price you want to pay. :)

If I see one at a similar price Felix I'll either try and reserve it or snap it up for you - let me know the top price you want to pay. :)

Thts great thanks Kim :)

Thanks Craig :) I am not gonna go near anything optical that has been dropped! I think at this rate I am gonna have to save and go for new as I really would like I use the webcam at some point, particularly as Jupiter's so well placed and nearly at opposition. Watch this space :)

Good move - I wouldn't touch a dropped eyepiece - got fingers burned a long time ago on that - you live and learn lol. The thing with good second hand gear is that it takes patience as stuff on comes up for sale quite infrequently. Jupiter will be back but your money won't and they are terribly expensive new. If you have a mate visiting the States you can make a bit of a saving if they pick one up for you. That's how I got mine for just under £190. :)

Nice one Kim thanks for advice. I sometimes have buddies going to states for skydive training camps and competitions so will maybe go for that if nothing comes up.

Edited by catman161

Optcorp are a good supplier - order first and let them know you're sending someone to pick up - if you get a quote ask for the total price including all taxes - purchase tax, federal tax, state tax, window tax, pasty tax, and all the other charges they slap on it lol. Still works out cheaper than UK prices so long as he doesn't get stung for import duty on the way through customs. :)

I want the two inch pat as when using it for visual it allows more light through and also I nearly always use my Hyperion zoom lens with the two inch adapter. Plus the two inch version comes with an adaptor to accept 1.25inch eyepieces and the nosepiece of the SPC900 webcam :)

Pats got a point.

With the small chip size of the camera you have, the 1.25" version would still more than fully illuminate the chip. Unless you plan on upgrading to some £5k big chip camera. The 2" powermate is more expensive and mainly used with 2" eps.

You could save some money and leave the 2" for me :)

Seriously though, it isn't a priority item for me at the moment though I'd love the 2" version.

If I spot a powermate I will pm you.

Cheers Pete :) to be honest it' for visual also which is why I want the two inch. I only use my Hyperion zoom lens with two inch adapter as it feels more secure than when using it as 1.25. I think I would use it more for visual really. At the same time I would like to use my webcam too. As the two inch has the 1.25 inch adaptor it fits the bill on both counts.

Edited by catman161

It's a nice piece for visual use with 2" ep's. Imho it's more flexible all round - especially if you're like Felix on the verge of aperture fever lol :)

Ha ha ha! I'm happy with my aperture at the moment. I just want better glass to look through :). Although I did have a chat with my folks today about my requirements scope/obsy/accessories-wise should they win the euromillions! I went for bespoke observatory, on the grounds of a bespoke built house in the middle of Exmoor. Planewave scope, Tak refractor (as big as possible), largest possible bespoke Dob which requires at least a two level scaffolding to get to the eyepiece and of course all TV glassware at the eye end :D

Thanks Eddy and Ron for the Pm re:the powermate on ABS. I have messaged the seller. Watch this space :D

Edited by catman161

Guest GUEST999

Hi there a forgot to mention I won a revalation 2" one ages ago and is till have never used it ,I use 1.25" barlows with the DMK 21 mono for the moon and planets on both my frac and sct they work well in both ,but as a test next clear night I will capture some ,moon and Jupiter with a 2"/1.25" barlows,and post both results up

The tal barlows, are good as well visual and video

Pat

Thanks pat. I have a televue 2 inch powermate now. A friend of mine picked it up for this afternoon. Should have it by the weekend :)

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.