• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Basic finderscope anti/de-dewing solutions

Guest MrsR

Ok so being as Belper lat night and my finderscope dewing up pretty early has made me wonder about when viewing at home.

Would it be better when at home to a&e the hair dryer to it when dewed up on pop it back inside for 15 mins to clear itself?

Would making some sort of long plastic sheild round it help a little bit?

Sorry for the silly questions but trying to work out simple solutions till I get the cash to sort out properly.

A lot of folks make a scope dew shield from camping mat that you can pick up in a camping accessory shop for under a fiver - you'll probably do the finder as well with an offcut - highly recommended - the commercially made dew shields are silly money for what they are.

A hairdryer is a good idea meantime - but use low heat and blow round the tube rather than directly on glass or mirrors to avoid cracking with sudden temperature changes.

I doubt you'll want to be running in and out the house disassembling and reassembling the scope - I soon got fed up with that lark lol - a dew control system is the best thing for an uninterrupted session. Expect to spend around £120 new plus power source or go second hand and it can be done for around £60-£70 (plus power) for an elementary set up. :)

As Kim has said use heater bands.

You can make these yourself for very very little money.

My blue Peter set up cost me a grand total of a couple of quid.

I used the heating elements from an old toaster to make the heater bands, this covers the heaters for the finder scope, the camera adapter and the guide camera.

I purchased a resister for £0.57p for the secondary mirror.

For the power supply I have used the 12 volt power pack from an old electric typwriter.

As Kim has said use heater bands.

You can make these yourself for very very little money.

My blue Peter set up cost me a grand total of a couple of quid.

I used the heating elements from an old toaster to make the heater bands, this covers the heaters for the finder scope, the camera adapter and the guide camera.

I purchased a resister for £0.57p for the secondary mirror.

For the power supply I have used the 12 volt power pack from an old electric typwriter.

I like the sound of this,