• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Scope Teknix red torch

Guest chrishewett

I have one of these and it is excellent for the price and does the job fine for just £6.99.

Sometimes it can seem a bit bright, but only when you are really well dark adapted. In those situations I sometimes use an old Orion Dualbeam torch which has 2 red leds, 2 white leds switchable and a variable brightness control which always comes on a the dimmest setting.

But that particular torch costs about £28...

/>http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/info_05756.html

£28 for a torch... Ouch!

As Martyn says, get a couple of red bike lamps, they are small easily fits in your pocket and cheap.

Or just get some lee 106 primary red filter an put it over your ordinary torch. I took my energiser head torch apart and cut some to size and then put it over the white LEDs so I don't have to click through to the red setting and risk ruining anyone's (or my own) night vision.

• 1 month later...

If you already own a Maglite torch, you can get a replacement red front lens that's a straight swap for the clear one. Just bought one for a mini-maglite (double A battery size) from Amazon for a few quid.

If you already own a Maglite torch, you can get a replacement red front lens that's a straight swap for the clear one. Just bought one for a mini-maglite (double A battery size) from Amazon for a few quid.

I have that lens kit for my big maglite, great accessory. I also use Lee Filter 106 Primary Red acetate to convert other torches/lights.