• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I tried....lol....help pls

Celeste

1st time out with the HEQ5 I tried to get some sort of DSO....I went to M57 (as I like it) took a few (4) 15 sec test shots, liked what I saw so set it off taking 20 longer subs. Once they had downloaded, I had to bring the lappy in as it was playing up, prob a bit damp...(now this lappy has a dud battery and it needs to be permanently plugged in) so I told the kids DO NOT TOUCH it...plugged it in inside and went outside to pack the CCD. Came in to see what I got to find the lappy switched off....ARGH!! The power cord had come away from the transformer...and I had lost all 20 subs I had just spent ages getting :( *annoyed* The files didn't autosave...I must have turned that feature off (DOH) But I did have the 4 15 sec test shots....so I had a play with them in AA3. Obviously I need to work on polar aligning as the stars look bloated...this is how far I got. I now have a problem sorting the colour feature out....if I try to get colour I lose the stars.....how do I get better colours without losing any stars?? I know I need to get longer subs and more of....so this is just practising :)

I used the MX colour synthesis in AA3 and manual aligning (still playing with things, best way to learn :) ) This is pretty bad but I am determined to get better at this

Hi celeste

not a bad first try even under trying circumstances. I can't help you on the colour stuff as I don't know the software

you are using. I am sure someone will be a,long later who knows more than me. And thats not very difficult LOL

I use DSS and photoshop sorry.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila :)

I am using AA3 (astroart 3) I aquire my images that way, apparently it's good for the starlight CCD's. Something to do with the camera drivers? this is an old cam, so i'm not expecting hubble images lol. I shall have to look at DSS, alot use it so it can't be bad :)

Hi Pat, yeah I have a polar scope in the HEQ5, although the red LED is far too bright! I can't see jack through it when it's on so I have to have the mount turned off to polar align. I am going to make sure several times next time i'm out it's aligned right. Although I had the mount aligned, Polaris wasn't in the scopes EP, so I turned the mount so it was.....is that correct?

I've had an idea of why I can't keep a decent alignment....and really it is my fault....but I have mine setup on grass, and with all the rain we've had...it wouldn't surprise me if one side had sunk a little. It only takes a tiny slip and alignment is lost. I am in no state to lay slabs though :(

There's a function in the utility menu somewhere to turn the brightness down on the polar illuminator I'm pretty sure. Have a skim round the menus and you'll find it Nicky. :)

Kim, i've looked for the polar scope LED in the menu, I have LED backlight but that's for the handset apparently. I will give it a try next time I set up (which maybe tomorrow)

Pat, I physically can't lay slabs....I am allowed to lay them it's just that I can't do it

There is a polar scope illuminator setup on the SynScan handset. I know, I've had mine 3 month's and only found it 2 weeks ago (the polar scope LED that is!!) :lol:

Ron, where is the polarsope LED setting? Ive looked in settings and can't find POLARSCOPE setting, I have LED backlight is that it?

Nicky, have you done a Firmware flash to upgrade the handset, so you can polar align with it? I'm sure the PS LED command came up when I flashed it !??

Ron

Ron, I only bought the mount just over a week ago, I would assume it has the latest version? how do I find out? and how do I polar align with the handset?

It's a whole new ballgame!! If you go to the Astronomy Shed tutorials, there is a video on flashing/upgrading the handset. Watch that and take some notes , it's fairly easy to do. You will then have new commands on your handset.

Ron

Thanks for the tip on finding the polar led setting....

Now could anyone help me with colour synthesis? I don't want to lose the stars in return for some colour......