• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My first attempt at orion with nikon

Guest swaylight

Guest swaylight

I attempted to use just my nikon dslr on a cheap tripod the other night. The results are not as great as i wanted, but it started me off and gave me something to learn from.

Setttings,

Exposure - 13seconds

ISO - 1600

WB - Tungsten

F stop - 5.0

Total of 39 pictures, (thought i took more until i got inside lol)

stacked using DSS, and only histogram moved slightly. Not really got to grips with processing just yet.

pics too big to upload here for some reason, so i'll attach a link

http://i48.tinypic.com/6f73iw.png

Edited by swaylight

Guest swaylight

thanks todd :)

Yeah i've been looking at the barn door trackers, and considering doing one, although been talking with shelia, and others on the chat, and working out using the EQ2 mount i have, which before people say it's not the best i know, but it's all i have to work with right now, and i have filled the legs up with sand so it's a bit more sturdy.

hopefully going to attempt an hour or two tonight if the clouds are not too bad.

Guest swaylight

ahh that sounds great todd (pat) i've been looking at how to make them, there are so many different versions so i'm not sure which one to use, or the best parts to get. any links would be very grateful. I'm using the nikon d3100 at the moment, but i'm hoping santas bringing me the 1100d i've asked for :) hoping to get out in about 30 mins and get a few 30secs - 1min subs and see what it does for me :)

Guest swaylight

cheers for that Pat, that was the one i was looking at, i'll only be able to image at 18-55 mm for a while untill i can either get a t-ring or a better lens. just noticed your from derby, i don't suppose you've ever been to surprise view have you? near heathersage? just been out for the past hour, set up with the eq2 focus on vega, was about to take a shot at cygnus for 45 seconds, 5 seconds in a felt a gust and a blanket cloud came straight across my view :( but i should be up till 2am so fingers crossed i'll get an attempt in at some point

Thats a good first effort, live and learn!!!!!

It will be better next time, every time you try it, you learn something else.

Guest swaylight

Thanks Daz :)

yeah i've been taking photos for about 2 weeks now and been out every chance i've had, even in bad weather so i can just learn from taking photos and spotting my mistakes on exposures.

Thats the first photo that i was happy in posting. some of my others don't seem to be as sharp or have as much detail.

hoping to get out over the next two clear nights according to the weather reports, so hoping to have a few new pics to show off