• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Imaging planets

T A WOW

Hello. As the planets (particularly Jupiter) are really quite bright do you need to do long exposure photos or can you just have a normal exposure (like taking photos in the day)

Thanks

You need pretty short exposures really - you'd only need LE so you can collect light from dim objects in deep space. Planets on the other hand are much closer and you may be down to a few 100ths of a second - cos they just ooze light lol :)

(if you're shutter's open too long it wil over expose just like daytime shots)

A far as I know you don't "need" a motorised mount. I guess it depends on the method though. Like I am gonna try and grab .avi files with my Philips webcam and then Use registax to split the video into individual frames and stack them on top of each other to create the final image. I'm gonna do that with a Dob scope :). Well going to try anyway!

Reasonable first shots can be had with a non motorised mount. But the earth is still moving quick and star trailing will happen within a few seconds. While you've been reading this sentence you've travelled 1800 ft through space lol.

Perhaps the most sucessful planetary shots are taken with a fast webcam on a motorised mount. Alt/az is fine but for dso's you'll want EQ. Take a look at Damien Peach's website - he's about the best in the UK for planets - his Jupiter images are well renowned. :)

I actually hand-guide webcam exposures and it is quite tricky at F/40. You can take planetary photos with an ordinary compact digital camera and sometimes I strike lucky but I'm getting more drawn to webcamming. One of my big wishes is to webcam Mercury. I've "caught" it on film with a compact digital camera quite a few times but never in a webcam. I'm very experienced at unsing compact digital cameras but been webcamming for < 2 years.

You'll have to pop some of them up in the imaging section Phil - we'd all be interested to see what can be done with a compact - we had a total beginner turn up just over a year ago - first set up and needed help polar aligning and all.

They then took me totally by surprise with a superb hand held compact shot - it was better than any of my webcam or dslr shots lol :)