• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CB Radio

cosmic dave

Ok its time to own up, who used to have a CB radio back in the day ? I did and my handle was galaxian after the video game, (I was only a school kid tho) lol

Yup I had one, a home base, AM 720 channel with side band.

Good fun in it's day.

I had to go on after the TV shut down, otherwise I blew all the neighbours TV's out.

Blimey, did the programs stop, and not run 24 Hours.

Man Iam getting old.

I was in at the very begining over here when it was AM.

Still have my AM set along with my FM set and my FM home base.

Handel was 'mystery man'

Guest Tweedledum

OHHH Galaxian......

Used to work for Imagine Software ...

Started building ham sets when I was 14, had a great physics teacher. Also had 27 mhz AM cb with usb & lsb a large Midland whip, and a full dipole with traps fed with some quality RNLI marine grade coax and a hefty balun. Icom and yaesu kit along with a marine vhf rig and stubby . Handle to match the nautical theme ...Nutty Noah lol...

Cheers

P.s

If anyone wants a copy of the ARRL antenna handbook (its big) i have one sitting on a shelf collecting dust...drop me a pm.

Edited by Tweedledum

Yep had a midland AM then a midland sideband with 25watt amp got it taken off me by the bears so got an FM with a K40 twig on my yellow Capri. Handle was Technician, chairman if the Royal Burgh Breakers. Happy days :)

My 600 channel AM/FM sideband rig was confiscated one night, after they caught me talking while parked up way back in about 1980. I suppose I was a bit obvious with a 6 foot Moonraker on top of the car :unsure: .

Yep had a midland AM then a midland sideband with 25watt amp got it taken off me by the bears so got an FM with a K40 twig on my yellow Capri. Ha

ndle was Technician, chairman if the Royal Burgh Breakers. Happy days :)

Hey, snap, my Capri was Sahara Beige, a yucky yellow. Looked gooooood with the K40 on top tho :D

Guest Astroplodder

I, too, was on the CB. Used to DX (or try to anyways!). I had various rigs, and actually used a Yaesu FT101 which was equipped with a 27Mhz band for ssb. It was THIS rig that enabled me to go on the HF bands legitimately when I took my RAE and then CW (Morse) exam with my mate at Trusthorpe (in those days you did that!). 12wpm CW was the requirement, both receive and transmit.

I had a G6 licence (G6DKL) and was always interested in VHF radio - had a 6-element quad and rotator, eventualy working into Scotland with cw with 10 watts output into the quad under sporadic "E" lift conditions. Quite an achievement really - no repeaters, just "line of sight" but from Chilwell (where the station was located) to Scotland is a *long* line of sight!!

I took my morse test and really enjoyed it: no exotc aerials due to space limitations but worked in to Japan with cw on a vertical but with a very nice 250Hz filter to weed out QRM/ QRN with QRP - 20 watts ERP at the antenna. I *still* have the FT101, and various other radios (including a whistles and bells transceiver with digital signal processing etc). Not QRV at the moment but would like to get back to it - one day! Trouble is, I'm USELESS on ladders and aerial rigging is not my strong point at all! :)

My callsign is G4OYP and is QTHR.

Vy 73's es 88's es gud dx om es yl!

Genya

Guest Ely Ellis

Well, I was into radio before CB, but caught the beginning while still at school. My brother John (Johnrsvr on here) got a cheapo Vice President Roy, one of the first 40 channel sets, (oh then envy of those with only 23!). Left school, took the RAE at 17, was G6OXS (bit of a mouthful), after joining the RN, I did my morse and upgraded to G0PYB. Still have an HF set (Kenwood 450SAT), but recently sold my VHF\UHF (TS790) to fund the astro hobby. Still have VHF\UHF hand held though.

Seems like radio and astronomy go together.

Oh, CB handle... don't laugh... "Shooting Star"

Martin

Ha ha didn't think this question would be so popular, I had a dv27f twig on my bedroom roof on FM thought it was great to talk to someone in newark.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dave,

It was technology at the time!! Amazing with what you could do with 10w or less and a finely tuned aerial. And a highly naughty 'burner' :) .

Did my cw at Llanddonna.

Nice Thread Dave.

Cheers

Edited by Tweedledum

Hi Dave,

It was technology at the time!! Amazing with what you could do with 10w or less and a finely tuned aerial. And a highly naughty 'burner' :) .

Did my cw at Llanddonna.

Nice Thread Dave.

Cheers

Yes, I enjoyed reading the answers as well.

Seem to remember sun spot activity was at a high back in the day. Could talk to yanks on my midland 40 channel and Dx 40 on my bedroom dormer roof ;)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Tom,

Depends on the 11 year sunspot activity. But spot on(!), as high susnspot activity= more inonisation in the f layer which increases skip and distances achieved around 27-30MHz even at low power.

Guest BigTfromNotts

Had a Midland 4000 40 channel AM - handle was RoadWarrior - was a truck driver at the time. Was in the early to mid eighties, before it became legal. :)

Boy, did it come in useful when I was on the road. it used to save me a lot of time, cause I knew where all the traffic jams were. It also saved me a lot of money, cause I knew where Smokey was. :)