• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lowest coefficient of friction

Doc

Take a look at the photo.

Can you see the disc of white material sandwiched between the metal discs.

What material would you say this was?

Is it PTFE, Acetal or Delrin?

What materials makes the best coefficient of friction?

That is a wonderful mount and is apparently the smoothest and doesn't need locks.

It seems the manufacturer isn't letting on what the friction discs are made of.

I thought Acetal and Delrin were the same or at least that Delrin was a type af acetal.

After a bit of googling other suitable options may be high density polyethylene (HDPE ).

Apparently, ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) has the lowest coefficient of friction of just about anything.

Just a few ideas.

Ok Peter if it is uhmwpe then what's better

Aluminium against uhmwpe

Bronze against uhmwpe

Felt against uhmwpe

Uhmwpe against uhmwpe

Just wondering.

I really don't know Mick, but it sounds like you might be planning a mod for a super smooth 300p :) .

Or perhaps an artificial hip joint with titanium against UHMWPE :D .

No I'm thinking of building myself a mount for my WO GT81 similar to the DiscMount one.

Mick why are you after a low co-efficiency of friction.

The lower you go the more problems you will have maintaining the scope's position.

I mean the lowest thing is going to be a bearing.

You are most proberly right Graham I just thought if you use the material with the less stiction then the movement will be smoother, but then I can see what you mean as well.

Pete I have loads of ideas just no money or time to do things, it's in the pipe line but don't count your chickens to quick.

Probably a tall order to emulate that dm6 mount. But I can see that you want to combine smoothness without the need for locking clutches with good balance. Using ball bearing races would require locking clutches. I'm sure a combination of the right materials and the right amount of tightness of the axes could achieve that. An interesting problem to solve.

Pete I have loads of ideas just no money or time to do things, it's in the pipe line but don't count your chickens to quick.

Yes, it would be nice to take early retirement with a million in the bank :)

It would be lovely to retire with a workshop and lathes, milling machines etc, that would be heaven.

I will get their one day you see.