• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bahtinov Masks

catman161

Hi guys,

Having bought a bahtinov mask for the 200P I looked up about what it should look like to gain focus.

My question is can I use Jupiter as the target to achieve focus on? As that is what I will want to get onto the webcam or do I have to use a star of a similar altitude to Jupiter to focus on?

My understanding is that it needs a bright point source of light - so a star is used. A planet may have too much light to achieve a proper pattern - though I never tried it on a planet. It doesn't need to be near the object cos once the scope is focused it should work for all objects. :)

It won't work on Jupiter but up the gain on your camera and you can use Jupiters moons.

Bahtinov Grabber is a great help also.

However, I always focus by eye and don't use a Batinov for planetary imaging as when you get focus spot on the detail jumps out at you.

I also use Jupiters moons to acheive focus by eye. See what sort of results you get first before you buy the mask. You might be pleasantly suprised what can be accomplished without one.

Guest Kheldar

It won't work on Jupiter but up the gain on your camera and you can use Jupiters moons.

Bahtinov Grabber is a great help also.

However, I always focus by eye and don't use a Batinov for planetary imaging as when you get focus spot on the detail jumps out at you.

+1

I've already purchased one. Thanks for the advice though guys I will try both methods. Knowing my luck it will be cloudy for weeks once the powermate arrives ;)