• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Are all filters the same?

Guest Dirk Dongler

Guest Dirk Dongler

Looking at getting a filter set and the price variation is drastic

Baaders £125.....TAL £48

Is there that much of a difference of quality?

Dave

No they are not all the same.

Some absorb the unwanted wavelengths, better ones reflect it.

Then there is parafocal sets, multi coating quality etc....

Take some advice from other members.

What are you looking for? ie. imaging, visual

An O3 filter is great for bringing out faint nebulae like the witches broom but chances are you'll be using a wide angle 2" eyepiece to get as much in the view as poss. This would mean a 2" filter though it can be done with 1.25 eyepieces to lesser effect. From what I see the 2" filters of this type are about twice the price of 1.25" ones - over £120'ish. Second hand may be a way to go. :)

Guest Tweedledum

HI Dave,

If it is just a basic filter set then avoid. As kim has eluded to you will probably need secific filters for a specific job. The filter sets often include ones you will not use greatly. Before you spend cash, come along to one of the meets and see what other folk have.

It would be useful to know what kit you have that you will be using them in, and what you are interested in observing, could narrow it down a bit for you then.

Cheers

Guest Dirk Dongler

I have just brought a Nexstar 8SE s/h and am coming to grips

with it.......not had a scope before and enjoying it

Got 3 cheap Celestron Omni 1.25" ep's.....40mm,20mm and 9mm

The focus is really iffy on the 9mm

Interested in moon and Messier galaxy type things

Thank you for the input guys

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dave,

Great scope, personally i would wait until you have discovered the beauty of 2" widefield eps! as if you buy now you will buy twice. I had a 10" lx and never used a filter, it would really be worth you coming to Belper and having a look at other folks kit. Everyone on here has at one time looked through other folks kit efore making a purchasing decision. You will not find a friendlier bunch.

Cheers

Damian

Guest Dirk Dongler

Hello Damian

Can you use 2" ep's in my scope?

I think it is only 1.25".....but i stand corrected

if i am wrong lol

Dave

Hi Dave,

Damian has a point regarding the 2" wide field eps. However, I believe that the Nexstar 8SE has a 1.25" visual back, and in any case the opening of the baffle tube is too small to allow proper unvignetted use of 2" eps.

Regards,

Pete.

Guest Dirk Dongler

Thanks Pete thats what i thought

Apparently you can get a 2" diagonal jobbie for the scope

but i dont think it would be worth the money (195 quidleys)

Dave

Guest Tweedledum

Hi dave,

Pete is correct, but there is a kit from opticorp which has the 2" kit. If you do not go down this path then you will be more than happy with some of the better 1.25" eps available and will save some cash as 1.25" filters considerably cheaper than 2".

Cheers

Guest Dirk Dongler

Cheers for the input Damian

I will have to have a shufty thro some ep's with this scope and see if

I want to get the 2" back thingy

Dave

One of the reasons I upgraded to the 925 was cos it has a 2" visual back (and extra aperture of course) - there are few 1.25" eyepieces I like to use now - only for high power narrow field work like planets really. :)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dave its a lot of dosh, and you will probably be happy with the views from a widefield 1.25" ep.. But as Kim says you will get apperture fever at some point and move up. Just enjoy that 8e for the mo.

Cheers

Edited by Tweedledum

I use a 1.25" Panoptic which is widefield and it's a beaut of an eyepiece in an Sct - one of the few 1.25's I really like - Damian's quite right you'd find some good one's you'll get on well with. :)

Guest Dirk Dongler

Thanks Kim and Damian

I will plod along with the setup I have for a while and

see about a panoptic thingy later....and hopefully

try some ep's at a meet

Thanks for your time

Dave

Hi Dave,

A few basic colour filters are useful, Nigel was doing some recently.

/>http://shop.northernoptics.co.uk/telescope-colour--moon-filters-125-1235-p.asp

Ibbo introduced me to a 80A blue filter for Jupiter, it really brings out the GRS, and bands.

An OIII is one of the filters I would suggest you get, this is good for Nebula's, and will make them stand out. But it depends on whether it emits that frequency of light, they are not good on all Nebula's.

You don't have to always put them in the eyepiece, they are handy for confirming you have the correct object by "Blinking" it over the top of the eyepiece. By holding it, and passing it backwards and forwards between the eyepiece and your eye, some faint one's appear to blink.

Next time we get out for a go with the scopes you would be welcome to try any of mine before you commit.

Guest Dirk Dongler

Thank you for that Martyn....that will be appreciated

Looks like I will be having a ride to Northern Optics lol

Cant wait now....got me all excited

Dave

For planetary I have 2 sets of antares wratten colour filters an 1.25 and a 2" set. I find these excellent and cheap, they work well and I cant see any difference between these an the more expensive lumicons. Ok if you have 700 pounds worth of eyepiece your not going to want to put a 5 quid filter on it but you wont notice a great deal of difference if you did in my experience.

For dso s I use an o111 and my favourite h beta filters. the h beta really brings out emmission nebula

Guest Dirk Dongler

Thank you for that info

Will have a look for the Antares filters Phil

Just having a shufty at that site....looks interesting reading

Will read and inwardly digest (I hope)

Thanks Mick

Dave

• 1 month later...
Guest recceranger

Hi Dave,

I recently purchased a few from FLO.  I used them during a break in the weather and I can honestly say they make a notable difference to direct viewing.  I have provided a link.

Note; I have and 80ED SW but purchased the 1.25" and they are superb.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/skywatcher-uhc-filter.html

Hope this helps