• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Meade or Skywatcher?

Tweedledee

I'm compiling a list of pros and cons on the following two mounts.

/>http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq6-mount.html

/>http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/meade_lx80_az_eq_mount_and_tripod_with_audiostar.html

If anyone would like to provide comments on any aspect of these, I would be grateful.

The Skywatcher is £600 more than the Meade, which is an awful lot of money.

Guest Tweedledum

Holy cr*p Pete, I thought you had all your mounts sorted. They are a lot of dosh, but for me it would be the Meade but second hand after it would have had some of the depreciation kicked out of it. No experience with either but could not justify spending £1400 on a mount when there are complete setups to be had for that cost... Or when the house goes a 14" sct for £2750 :) ...

Sounds like santa is on the way.

Cheers Matey

Damian

Cheers damian.

I like the Skywatcher feature that allows the mount to be moved manually without losing its goto positioning. That seems rather unique.

But it does come at a very high price.

Both seem to handle more weight than I would consider lifting.

Thanks,

Pete.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Pete,

Very high cost for me but what isn't at this time. Its a case of want and both are highly desirable, if you want it go for it.

Cheers

For my twopence worth Meade had problems with quality of their electrics and their after sales service is reportedly totally rubbish.

Guest Tweedledum

I am with you Graham, would not buy 'new' meade electronics. Far too expensive, needs some depreciation and buy used. The electronics in my old LX200 were fine, bought a replacement controller (as they were suspect) and never needed it, controller now in an obsy in Sweden!

Adam at RVO showed me the new Meade LX80 last week - looked really nice

/>http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/meade-lx80-az-eq-8-quot-sct-telescope_d5606.html

I was going to consider this next year as my first imaging scope - based on the comments in this thread are we saying I should consider other options?

Don't know anyone using the meade mount, does it work with EQMOD?

Have you put this question on SGL as there is a greater chance someone on there will have this mount.

Thanks for all the comments.

Good idea Andy, thanks.

Will have a look on SGL.

It certainly is a worry regarding Meades recent electronics reliability record, when contemplating an £800 spend. Would be very nice if they have learned some lessons now and produced a reliable LX80. The SkyWatcher is really in another league price wise.