• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Phil in Wiltshire

I saw this advertised on Twitter, so it sounded interesting. I already post on the BBC Sky at Night, Meade and Astronomy magazine sites. As my name suggests, I'm very interested in the Sun as an astronomical object and find it is the most changeable in modest amateur instruments. Like many of you, this current economic slump means I can't buy a new 9999 mm APO refractor, so have to make do with rather more modest equipment.

I try to observe something every day, even if it is just recording sunspot sizes and positions but like to photograph as much as I can. On cloudy days and nights, I revisit old photographs to see if I can get more from them than when I first took them. I even surprise myself with what can be done with modest equipment. I'm not saying I've totally cracked the technique but I can snap constellations with nothing more than a compact digital camera.

The best way to see what I'm up to is via my gateway to my sites: http://philippugh.co...ls_Gateway.html

Remember that my blog is updated daily, with the odd exception being travel or illness.

The attached photo is Castor taken with a 127mm Maksutov and webcam.

Hi Phil and welcome! :)

It sounds like you have a multitude of experience which will be most welcome on the forums. I've been wanting to observe the sun myself so will no doubt be asking for advice! :D

I hope you enjoy the forums. :)

Hi Phil,

Warm welcome to EMS, the most friendly astro group on the web.

Cheers

Damian

Thanks, Damian. I look forward to discussing a few things here.

Hi Phil and welcome! :)

It sounds like you have a multitude of experience which will be most welcome on the forums. I've been wanting to observe the sun myself so will no doubt be asking for advice! :D

I hope you enjoy the forums. :)

Some things can't easily be explained within a forum as the replies sometimes require a book or at least a magazine article. If you have any questions, especially about the Sun, I'm quite happy to have a go about answering but may give you some web links.

Hi Phil,

Good to have you here at EMS, I've seen your name pop up in various places.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Phil, welcome to EMS.

Thanks, Darren. Mayve I can help you with a few Messiers but, to be honest, many are more things to cross off the list before you die, unless you have a large telescope.

Hi Phil,

Good to have you here at EMS, I've seen your name pop up in various places.

Cheers,

Pete.

Thanks, Pete. Yes my notoriety follows me around.

Thanks, Darren. Mayve I can help you with a few Messiers but, to be honest, many are more things to cross off the list before you die, unless you have a large telescope.

Cheers Phil, thanks for the offer. I have only been into this hobby for just under 2 years, don't get out as much as I would like due to wife shifts and our 2 year old, also had some issues withe scope, sticky mount, dew on the optics, shaky hands wobbling the OTA and no plan when gazing which meant i was all over the place etc, but all that is sorted now so the only thing to do now is hunt DSO's, I'm hoping to bag as many as I can this winter.

Thanks for the new welcome. I see some of you have visited my website, blog and picture galleries already. Weather and illness is preventing me from getting out at the moment but I hope to have some pics from abroad soon.

Hi Phil, welcome to EMS. :)

Thanks. What is the Heritage 130 like? I'm looking at various travel 'scope options. I'm using a 76mm Cat at the moment and struggling to get any pictures from it. Using .965" eyepieces instead of 1.25" eyepieces doesn't help.

Hi Phil, welcome to EMS. :)

Thanks. What is the Heritage 130 like? I'm looking at various travel 'scope options. I'm using a 76mm Cat at the moment and struggling to get any pictures from it. Using .965" eyepieces instead of 1.25" eyepieces doesn't help.

If you want a travel scope you can't go wrong with the William Optics Megrez 72 IMHO.