• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

WO Megrez 72mm

Rock Doctor

It's the better FD model too - I think the case is a Maplins one not the WO one - but a reasonable price and smashing for imaging - Eddy should see this one - good heads up :)

Kim,

Shame you weren't there last night, how's the back?

I gave my Meg some abuse last night with an BH Zoom clicked down to 8mm and had some good views of Jupiter, moon and the trapezium in the Orion Nebula. I never brought my heater bands but didn't need them as the scope didn't dew up.

Whoever came across the site and made it happen, gets a big thumbs up. :)

Mick found the site Dave - it's a fantastic find I agree and Nick (parish concillor) is a very nice chap to deal with too. The Meg is full of surprises eh? The only time I used dew bands on mine was for imaging at Kelling. It works nicely at 5mm too for visual with a good quality eyepiece like a Radian. The back is still very precarious but I'm moving a little easier when stood up today thanks. Glad you had a good time :)

The trouble with going to these meets is that it gives you the chance to see other peoples kit and yet more items to add to the list of items to purchase. Stephen was using a Hitecastro Mount hub which looks really good for keeping the cables tidy. :)

Yup - David at HitecAstro is churning out some really useful astro electronics these days - the hub is growing in poularity. :)

Guest Kheldar

I have nothing but praise for the hub. USB, DC, Focus Controller, Dew Controller .... all for the price of one USB cable to PC and one DC cable to battery coming away from the mount. All the rest of the cables stay on the mount.

Sorry I wasn't too chatty, having another awful night with two rigs that didn't want to play LOL

Edited by Kheldar

Ha ha! I bet you did didn't you eddy?! Don't blame you, I love this scope :)

Edited by catman161

The Meg72 is a very nice little scope that serves well both as a wide field imager, with the right field flatener, and also as a grab and go observing instrument. There's a barely noticeable smidgeon of CA which I imagine can be cropped out of images - though I'm no image processing expert. I'd compare it as "roughly equivalent" to a SW ED80 which is also a nice tool for imaging and grab/go observing.

There are obvious and not so obvious differences between them - some aesthetic and some functional - and a weakness in one may well be a strength in the other - but apart from aperture there's not a lot to choose between them really.

Anyone starting imaging can't go wrong with either scope because both hold their value well on the second hand market when trading up. What I will say is - though I'm no optics expert - a friend of mine has a Phd in optical design - and when he had a go imaging with my Meg72 - he then tried to get me to sell it to him for months after lol. :)

The trouble with going to these meets is that it gives you the chance to see other peoples kit and yet more items to add to the list of items to purchase. Stephen was using a Hitecastro Mount hub which looks really good for keeping the cables tidy. :)

can recommend hub too, its much easier that the fag lighter connections. Still got to sort all my cables to tidy them up though,

keep tripping over them

Sheila